Monday, September 4, 2023

Bigass Long Weekend Wrap-Up: Evening With Elaine; Funky Friday in Actual Jeans; Turnabout Shop in Kenzo; Party in the Park in Hawaiian Print and Silk

Welcome back, my friends! I have much to share - it's been a weekend of good times, good friends and good fun. Grab a beverage and sit back and enjoy.

I caught up with Elaine on Thursday afternoon, following my Mom-Day Adventure (here). She was in town for a few days after a wedding, so we spent the afternoon hanging out at my place. 
My dear "art-ner in crime" Elaine! We have been friends for close to 20 years, having met in the bathroom at my former job (we worked in different departments). We both dressed up far more than anyone else on our floor, and quickly found out we had a love of art, music and fashion in common. 

She loves cats and has known all of our kitties - Othello, Inigo and Vizzini. 
"Yes, I will vouch for this person - she gives good scritches."


Vizzini was all over her - she helped with cat-care on some of our vacations over the years. I guess he remembered her feeding him? 
Elaine, don't look now, but someone's watching you...

"He's behind me, isn't he?"
"I sure am."


She's trying not to laugh! What a silly cat you are, Vizzini. 

I made her, L and I roast beef dinner and we watched "Project Runway" before her friend picked her up to drive to the airport for her flight back to Hamilton, Ontario. 
So good to see you, Elaine! I'll come out and visit you again soon, I hope! I visited her here back in July 2019 (remember that, Ally?). 

Back at work for one day on Friday before launching into another long weekend. I could get used to this, ha ha. 
Try not to faint with the shock, Gentle Readers, I am indeed wearing actual jeans! 

  • Top - Talbots, consignment; last worn here in May 2022 with suede swirls
  • Jeans - Santana Jeans, vintage 90s, thrifted; purchased here for $7.95
  • Shoes - Down to Earth Hadfield, Fluevog; last seen here in April for a Mom-Day

Here, have a Castle picture while you recover from your swoon. 
A peachy sunrise - it was a lovely hot day, though, pure August. 

These particular jeans are vintage, although I still roll my eyes at calling the 90s vintage, it was just a few years ago! 
They are sewn to stay in that cropped cuff. 

I've had this top for ages - it's been a while since I've worn it, but I still enjoy this amazing textile. 
I popped into Rich Rags after work and owner Julia said I was very trendy. "Everyone is wearing red this season!" she proclaimed. 

Good rear view, very important with jeans. 
Check! 

Incognito. 
My jaunty silk scarf at my neck to match my shoes. I always wear them together. 

The stuff: 
These shoes are eight years old, worn dozens of time. I walked to and from work in them! 

Peachy bling: 
My orange set is so fun. The earrings are wooden, and light as feathers. 

  • Silk scarf - Ralph Lauren, consignment
  • Triangle bangle - consignment, Sidney
  • Plastic cuff/ring - Italian, vintage 60s, vintage mall
  • Steel/Lucite ring - Calvin Klein, thrifted
  • Earrings - vintage fair

I had a good browse in Rich Rags after work, and this heavy gold-tone belt caught my eye. 
I've been looking for a brassy chain belt that has the Brutalist vibe that I like. 

It reminds me of this jewelry here that I have, although this is not vintage. 
It's quite heavy, and I like the spiral set into the large ring. The back of it is nicely finished and it feels like good quality - it's not marked at all. It was $29.00. It is probably around 10 years old, I'd guess.

L and I hung out and played board games and listened to music on Friday night, but we were up bright and early on Saturday morning for a shopping treat - a trip to Turnabout! I try not to go there more than once per quarter annually, as it can get pricy! 
I haven't worn this wonderful cotton Kenzo dress for a year, so time to bust it out. I enjoyed showing off my dress, belt and purse to the staff at Turnabout, who always appreciate cool clothes. 

  • Dress - Kenzo, consignment; last worn here in September 2022 with Vivienne Westwood
  • Shoes - Chie Mihara; last seen here (2nd outfit) in August with vintage cheese curls

I wore little sporty shorts and a camisole under this to make trying stuff on easier. 
It was a hot, sweltering day. 
I was glad to be in cotton! 
Isn't the dress amazing? 
It doesn't have pockets, but it does have two "pass-throughs." 

Incognito. 
Didn't work - the lovely Turnabout crew recognized me. 

Ready to go! 
Let's shop! 

The stuff: 
First outing of my Hermes rip-off purse - I loved showing it off, but it was a pain to open and close multiple times. 

  • Purse - faux Hermes, vintage 1998, thrifted; purchased here for $15.48 in Vancouver
  • Belt - Fendi, thrifted; last worn here in March
  • Bracelet - vintage 1920s, vintage mall
  • Amber/silver bracelet - consignment, Powell River
  • Silver/amber ring - consignment
  • Silver chain ring - Mexican, consignment
  • Silver/crystal ring - Soul Flower
  • Amber/silver ring - Past Times, c. 1996, gift from L
  • Silver/amber earrings - thrifted

Ready to see what we found? We shopped for L first - he quickly tired (I'm a marathon shopper), and left for a bite to eat while I kept going. This dark green velvet and silk tux jacket caught his eye. 
He doesn't have a green jacket, so this will be a good addition to his wardrobe. I love all the satin trim.

It's by Dolce & Gabbana, and it was made in Italy. It belonged to Brad, apparently! 
It retailed for $1,318.00 - it was $389.99. 

"You saved $900!" I told L. 

"No, I spent $400."

L also needed another pair of jeans, and these ones looked great on him. 
Good fades and intensity of colour. 

New with tags! 
They're by AG Jeans, and are the Tellis cut. And we can see that the tag says $350.00 - they were $159.99

We're also always on the lookout for interesting trousers for L. 
Skinny plaids? Yes! 

These are by Topman - the "Super Skinny" and were new with tags noting retail of $65.00. 
They were $42.99. Gotta love how much you save by shopping second-hand. 

After L headed off, I enjoyed a thorough browse. I like to chat with the staff, and with other customers, and it was a pleasant couple of hours. 

Turnabout was on their final season clearance for spring/summer items, and I did find a few things in their sale section, including this bright neon yellow/green pencil skirt. 
Love the eyelet lace.

It's from Summer 2012. 
It's by J. Crew, the No. 2 Pencil skirt. 
They do this skirt every season in many fabrics - it retails for $131.50. I paid $20.00.

I eyed these trousers the last time I was in, but $89.99 was too much for me. 
They were marked down to $27.00 - done! I'll take them! 

They have a hidden pocket under the flap on the front. 
I love the grey/gold brocade woven fabric and the satin piping. 

They're by Sissyme.
And they would have retailed for $200 new. 

I know this because they were new with tags! 
My $27.00 feels like a good deal. 

Onto the "not on sale" portion! These black and white trousers called to me. 
They are a cropped wide leg - the belt is attached and does up with a double d-ring. 

They're by Akris Punto, were made in Italy, and were $89.99. Note that the fabric (100% cotton) is woven - the black on white is the reverse of the fabric. All of the print is perfectly lined up. 
These would have retailed for around $595.00. I guess $89.99 is not so bad! 

I'm a sucker for a good print - but this is NOT a print! It's kitted this way - the pattern is knitted not printed on top of a knit. 
I love the wider neckline and the brown trim on the hems/edges. 

Look that lovely knit! 
It's a mark of quality fabric, which is one of the first things I look/feel for when I'm shopping. 

Scotch & Soda by Maison Scotch - this is a brand I'll always take another look at. Their designs are so fun.
This says "C'est si bon" which means "It's so good" - this was $49.99 and retailed for $131.00.

This cropped jacket had the matching skinny track pants but they were an XS - way too small. However, the jacket is awesome. 
It's a very orange-y red. Guess who it's by?

I don't know, it's too hard.
 I need clues! 

I found a date tag inside - July 2018, so it's only 5 years old. 
It retailed for $75.00 new. 

And yes, it's Adidas, shocker! It was $49.99. 
I like that it's fully-lined with this mesh fabric, all the way down the sleeves too. Looking forward to wearing this! 

I spotted this in the designer dress section while L was still with me - he heartily approved of it. 
A dip-dyed plaid long dress with contrast Devoré cuffs. That button placket looks interesting. 

 When I saw the back, I was all, "WHOA!!" 
A ginormous peacock! 

The cuffs are sheer. 
A pretty detail - I must remember to drag them through my soup, heh heh. 

A look at the purple velvet placket and matching lavender/brass buttons. 
Two sparkly rhinestone buttons, a nice detail. 

Pockets! yes! 
I'll be able to wear this as a long duster, too - it unbuttons all the way to the hem. 

I snorted at "emulation silk."
I am 100% certain that means "fake silk." Next they'll be telling us that "faux leather" isn't leather. 

It's by Aratta Silent Journey, a brand I have never heard of. 
This is called the "Beautiful Lover Maxi Duster" and it retails for $205.00. I paid $89.99. 

But wait, there's more! 
I also found this fun belt in the sale section. 

Very cool sections of studs, punch-decoration and other metal elements.
I like this kind of detail in my belts - I've been looking for a brown-tones belt to wear on my jeans and other pants. 

It's by Fossil and is real leather. 
It was $11.50, half off the original $22.99.

Lastly, I found myself an awesome pair of velvet/painted booties.
I love the colour mix of black, brown, gold, red and orange. These will go with a lot in my winter wardrobe, although I won't be able to wear them in the rain.

Not a lick of wear on them! 
They are by Rieker, and retail for $120.00. 

They're nice and fuzzy inside.
These were $79.99. 

We got home and dumped our shopping bags on the floor where Vizzini discovered them. 
"Back off, Woman, this one is mine!"


He was really excited by this bag in particular.
"I must make sweet love to this."


He knocked the bag over. 
"I must rub it and love it and call it George."


Vizzini, you are liking that bag a little too much.
"But it is my best friend!"


Okay, buddy, I think you're getting carried away.
"WHAT??"


I'm going to take that away from you - I don't want you getting into my new clothes while we're out. 
"Wait, what? You're going out again?"


Yeah, sorry, little guy. 
"How will I survive?"


Pretty sure you'll manage - we'll be home again soon! 

And then we headed back out, to join our lovely group of friends for a gathering in Ye Olde Pandemic Park for the long weekend, and to celebrate our dear Vero's birthday. 
I had to change! Too many clothes, too few opportunities to wear them! 

  • Silk cocoon - NancyMac, consignment; last worn here in June with drapey trousers
  • Dress - Hawaiian, Hilo Hattie's, thrifted; last seen here in August 2021 with this same cocoon
  • Shoes - Karl Lagerfeld; last worn here in August with a very 80s blazer

It's been two years since I wore this dress.
It fits me perfectly. 

It has a side-slit for walking. 
It was so roasting hot out - I needed that Hawaiian bark-cloth fabric for its breathability. 

And the silk cocoon for sunblock. 
I'm slathered in SPF 60! 

Incognito.
Purse change.

Wee, I'm a glamourous goddess! 
I'm ready for warm breezes and hot sun. 

The stuff: 
Same jewelry as the morning, with the amber pendant added. I needed ultra-comfy shoes for walking to the park and back, and for standing around for 3+ hours. 

  • Purse - Zara, consignment
  • Amber pendant - thrifted
  • The rest of the jewelry - as above

L wore the same outfit for shopping in the morning. 
The shirt is vintage 1950s from a vintage fair. The knapsack is full of road-pops (aka alcoholic bevvies) and fizzy water and kombucha (for me). I carried our blanket. 

Lovely chrysanthemums and roses on the way. 
I always have to stop and smell the roses. Heavenly! 

We're almost there! 
I see our pals! 

Yvonne is ready in her Montreal 1976 Olympics tee and cowboy hat. 
Casey in his summer whites and Blue Jays cap. 

Randall, pose for me! 
I also bought a Robert Graham woven skull dress shirt at Turnabout for $35.00 - a steal! It retailed for $500. He was thrilled and paid me the $35.00 back. 

L and Ross, chilling in the hot sun. 
Two of the coolest guys around. 

Cat, looking resplendent in a top and trousers she sewed! 
Lookin' fine, baby! 

Here comes Greg with his chair. 
What, no Rosanna? I am disappointed. 

Nick arrived, and brought his sister Yvette and her husband Bruce. 
They are visiting from Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. Welcome to Victoria, kids, and come and join the party! 

Nick, have you figured out to put that chair together yet? 
Oh, it's an aerial, is it? 

Vero, getting some love from Cat. 
We had moved under the trees by this time, as it was too freakin' hot in the sun. 

Aw, much love from Caro too. 
My dear, dear friends. 

There's Ronnie! 
Love the hat, Ron! He was so impressed with Randall's skull shirt, I've been charged with finding a dress shirt for him, plus a blazer for parties. You're on, Ron! 

Caro, holding her BCGEU (BC Government Employees' Union) swag blanket - it's Union-Made in Canada. 
Appropriate for Labour Day! 

Some of the boys tossed the Frisbee around.
Casey, Greg and L about to catch the disc. 

I joined them for a while. 
Good catch, L! The field was full of people by 5pm, on blankets, picnicking and playing various games. 

Chris and Ali arrived and Chris immediately got the margaritas going. 
He has a vintage 1950s cocktail suitcase, including these gorgeous glasses he found at Value Village a day earlier ($4 each is a bargain - these are vintage 50s glasses). I would have bought them too! 

Ah, a chilly marg on a hot day. 
Pinkies up! 

Ronnie and Ali in the shade. 
I love that we have our new Park tradition, borne out of the Pandemic. 

Linda and Brad arrived. 
Looking lovely in linen. Don't hide that beer, honey! 

Some of the gals.
That sky! 

If you want good pics, you need to pose in the sun, darlings. 
Finger guns ahoy! Linda, Vero, Yvette and Caro. 

Casey and Randall - thanks to Randall and Yvonne for these pics. 
Casey and Randall. 

Men with cans. 
Bruce, L, Ross and Randall. 

Chatting groups. 
Caro, Cat and Linda...and Vero, Ron, Casey and Greg. 

Our wee gaggle under the trees. 
Time to head home and feed Vizzini (and ourselves). 

I love this housing complex. 
Someone who lives there is a very good gardener. So many dahlias! 

One of many Victorian houses on our route home. 
This street (Vancouver) is lined with them. 

We spotted this magnificent beast watching us from an upper balcony closer to home. 
"You may pass."


He reminds me of our old Othello kitty. 

One more look at the sunset. 
I hope you all had a wonderful weekend! Thank you so much for stopping by! 

14 comments:

  1. Elaine!!! Yes, of course I remember visiting you and her. Since then I've written to her a dozen times and shared news about our passion for art. Glad you two got together again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she mentioned that you send her cards. It was so good to see her again!

      Delete
  2. Friggin’ FABULOUS friends and fashion! I ogled every single one of your outfits and, of course, your accessories. On top of that, you and L wound up with a perfect haul of goodies from Turnabout. Ha, I’m becoming a fan of adidas! (Must be exposure therapy. ;))
    I applaud your energy, the massive shop followed by your wonderful Pandemic Park Partying. On the other hand, good friends and the outdoors are a tonic and an energizer. ❤️

    Looking forward to seeing all of your purchases styled. And wow for that long dress with the surprise back…I thought at first it might be Desigual because that’s the only brand I know that plays with color and pattern in that manner.

    Thanks for sharing your wonderful long weekend! Thoroughly enjoyed “tagging” along!
    Cheers, Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Stockholm Syndrome, Laurie, lol? Next thing you know, you'll be in Adidas! Thank you so much! It will be fun to style everything up and wear it, although some of it will be more fall/winter.

      Seeing our friends is always such a balm.

      I love that long duster dress. I know, so few brands do big bold prints like that.

      Delete
  3. Wow - didn't you do well on your shopping trip? I loved everything but my absolute favourite was the fabulous dress with devore cuffs - beautiful and I too thought it would make a fabulous duster! Lovely outfits; it's strange seeing you in jeans but you look great in them!

    I love how you congregate in the park with friends. It's such a good solution if you lack outdoor space or have very small outdoor space (like me). You all look to have had such a fun time.

    Vizzini and the bag made me giggle - he's quite potty isn't he? Have a great week,
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun shop - I always love seeing what I can find, what speaks to me. I'm excited about the duster too.

      It was due to the pandemic, but now we just love it for being outdoors. We always have a good time together.

      He's a silly cat, for sure! Thanks, Vronni!

      Delete
  4. Those jeans are very Misfit-era Marilyn! I also love the Kenzo dress and that cropped Adidas jacket.
    You obviously have some fabulous friends and I always enjoy seeing Vizzini photobombing.
    I would happily move into one of those beautiful Victorian houses, although I suspect they come with a hefty price tag. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! I was grooving on that 50s look. Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed my family (chosen and furry). Yep, you'd pay around $2.5 million for one of those.

      Delete
  5. There is so/too much in this post. I keep going back before commenting.
    Love that Elaine and you are such soulmates.
    Your outfit with the red top and the fun shoes is great. I just hate the socks (that's me, don't take any notice).
    The Kenzo dress is such an exquisite piece.
    Those velvet painted booties are a great find. So you.
    It is heartwarming to see you with your friends. You are like me, can't live without friends.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Elaine and I have always seen eye to eye. I also hated the socks, but couldn't go barefoot. I adore that dress - it's a treasure. I'm excited about the booties. So true, Greetje - they are my chosen family.

      Delete
  6. That photo of Vizzini peeking out behind Elain is absolutely hilarious!
    That Kenzo dress is fabulous on you as is the Hawaiian maxi. Jon has those Topman skinnies in both Royal steward & Blackwatch Tartan (charity shopped, obvs) and hasn't worn them in years, I love him in them but he keeps finding an excuse not to wear them. The cropped Adidas, velvet blazer, duster coat and boots are fabulous and now I've seen you in that green skirt and checked cropped trousers I know they're great finds, too! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's such a little lurker, lol! Thank you! Ha, our guys have the same taste! it takes some guts to wear the ultra-skinnies!

      Delete
  7. I love Elaine's accessorising! And it's so good you had such a wonderful long weekend with amazing luck shopping and lots of lovely time with friends. I am in awe of so many of the things you thrifted and I can't wait to see how you wear them all - that maxi dress is insanely beautiful and I know you will rock it!

    Thank you for joining the Weekday Wear Link up! Sorry it's taking me so long to get around and catch up to your post on the link up - life has been a bit crazy lately, I'm playing catch up with blog land when I can, which sadly isn't often. Still think of you even if I can't visit as much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a master at it, thanks, Mica! I love that maxi too.

      No worries, you have a lot on your plate. :) I'll still be here!

      Delete

Comments are so incredibly special, and I love them and hug them and treasure them forever. Please feel free to tell me what you think!

I'm not currently able to respond to comments, but I will make every effort to answer questions. I do read every single one, and appreciate your comments.

Please note that comments containing affiliate links spam-y sites, spam comments and anything I deem inappropriate will be deleted.

Cheers,
Sheila