Sunday, September 10, 2023

Bigass Weekend Wrap-Up: Friday Double-Scotch; Brunch in Vintage and a Wee Shop; Rifflandia Music Fest Rock Stars

Welcome back, my friends! Are you ready for outfits? Let's go! I've got Friday's work outfit, Saturday brunch and a wild concert outfit and festival pics, so fortify yourself accordingly and enjoy.

Ah, Friday, feels so long ago. Due to the chilly morning, I wore a sweater and boots.
I was glowing by the time I walked home after work. 

  • Sweater - Scotch & Soda by Maison Scotch, consignment; purchased here for $49.99
  • Skirt - Scotch & Soda, consignment; last worn here (2nd outfit) in May with more orange
  • Boots - 1883 Luchesse, consignment; last seen here in September 2022 with a twisted cowgirl ensemble

My view of the Castle as the sun rose. 
I spy a little crow in the tree on the right. 

I've been a fan of Maison Scotch and their lower cost line Scotch & Soda for a while - they do good quality quirky clothes (my Murder Mystery dress is by them). 
It was inevitable that I'd eventually wear a couple pieces together - it's a double-Scotch! 

This new-to-me sweater was awesome. 
I love the pattern and shape. L said I looked very "autumnal" this morning. 

It's the brown trim on the sweater plus the orange-peach background of the skirt, right? 
This skirt has been a winning purchase - this is my 3rd wear this season.

Incognito. 
I wore another piece of leopard in this wispy silk scarf. 

The stuff: 
I'm SHOCKED that it's been a year since I wore these boots - I used to wear them all the time, as they feel like they were made for me. I guess I have too many shoes - what a tragedy, har har. 

  • Silk scarf - Janie Besner, thrifted

Amber and silver bling:
Both of my new pieces from the other day's wee shop made it into the mix. 

  • Red/silver bracelet - vintage 1920s, vintage mall; purchased here for $65.00
  • Amber/silver bracelet - thrifted
  • Silver/amber ring - consignment
  • Silver/granite ring - Raul Caballero, Oui Jewelry; purchased here for $89.00
  • Silver balls ring - Sidney
  • Silver chain ring - Mexican, consignment

L and I both had stressful days at work, so we were happy to chill out on Friday night, and indulge in a sleep-in on Saturday morning. We headed down to John's Place for brunch, followed by some errands, and then relaxed in the afternoon before the evening's excitement started.
Sneaking in a wearing of this wonderful vintage skirt before the season is over. 

  • Jacket - Kelsey T upcycle, consignment; first worn here in June with black and tan
  • T-shirt - Cynthia Rowley, thrifted; first seen here in July on a fringed Friday
  • Skirt - Alex Coleman, vintage 70s, consignment; last worn here (2nd outfit) in July 2022 for brunch
  • Sandals - Sorel; last seen here (2nd outfit) in August for brunch in Kenzo tiger

I just paired it with a plain tee and my favourite black wedge sandals. 
And added a black jean jacket with gold accents. 

Trust me, it has a LOT of accents! 
The skirt is so gorgeous - it's printed in two shades of pink, with turquoise and black, and then an overlay of bronzy-gold. 

Without the jacket. 
I had a few hot moments while eating brunch and took the jacket off. 

How most people saw me. 
After brunch, L ran his errands, and I popped into Csinos Vintage (a curated collective of a bunch of sellers), and a lovely person asked me about my jacket. 

Yes, I'd gotten it at Upcycle Consignment - and turns out, it was Kelsey T themselves, who added all this lovely gold and decoration to the jacket! 
We did a selfie and I posed for them in it, and gave them my business card. Hugs to you, Kelsey! I just love this jacket! So nice to meet you! Go say hi, they're at @kelstitch on Insta and will have our pics up soon. 

The stuff: 
I am fond of these wedge sandal/booties - they're so ugly, but I love them! 

  • Purse - Michael Kors, consignment

New bling:
Three of my new-to-me pieces of bling worked with this outfit - I pinned the floral brooch to the jean jacket. 

  • Belt - consignment; purchased here for $29.00
  • Gold bracelet - thrifted
  • Eelskin hinged bracelet - thrifted, Powell River; purchased here for $8.00
  • Brass ring - vintage 70s, vintage mall
  • Gold/amethyst ring - Frances Jewelers, c. 1965, Dad's
  • Metal/enamel floral brooch/earrings set - vintage 60s; purchased here for $25.00

During the brief wait to get a table for brunch, I picked up a magenta pink wig at Adam & Eve (the local sex shop) for $39.99. 
I do believe that will be worn very soon! 

I also found myself a little something at Csino's while I had a 5-minute look-around. I spotted the jacket first then gasped when I realized it had matching pants. It's a SUIT!

It's very much late 90s/early 00s - it's a dark grey denim with gold sparkle throughout the fabric. 

The jacket is a fit-and-flare sort of shape, with a wide open lapel, trimmed with gold zippers. 
The front pockets hadn't been opened (I opened them). It snaps shut. 

The back is pretty basic. 
Nice stitching. The sleeves are short - bracelet length. 

I checked to see if the extra zips did anything - they work, but no, they're just for show. 
Isn't that amazing detail? 

This suit is covered with branding - it just screams turn-of-the-century. 
Little sphinx-angel things on the zips. 

OMG, will you look at the bling on these pants!
I loved all this embroidery back in the day - it's no shock that I'm still really into it. 

It carries around to the back and the two pockets have wings. 
I'm happy to report all pockets are real. 

Each stud is stamped with the little sphinx-angel. 
Cappopera (and a trademark). 

I swooned over the pant-legs. 
Yes, please, I would like to wear these unzipped so that they flare over my shoes! 

More logos! 
Cappopera is Capponi and Perani and I am assuming they are Italian. 

I thought $68.00 was a really good deal for this suit. 
However, it's not made in Italy, although it is easy to make that mistake. 

Everything but the sewing is Italian. 
I picture the Italian designers hovering over the Bulgarian sewers. 
This tag actually tells me that it was made around May 22, 1999. 
So very Y2K! I spotted a jacket on 1stDibs (not as fancy) that sold for $368.00, so I definitely got a deal. 

Now, prepare yourselves, Gentle Readers, for I am about to shock you with my Rifflandia festival outfit! 
Woo! You can see me coming! I know, I said I wasn't going to wear these mini dresses as dresses...but I did, heh heh. 

We bought festival passes to Rifflandia and Thursday, Friday and Saturday this week are the Electric Avenue venue/theme of music. As most of the Electric Avenue artists didn't really grab us, we only planned on seeing rap duo Run The Jewels this weekend. They're a massive rap duo and we couldn't miss seeing them live. There's a swack of artists next weekend that we're excited about too (check out the Rifflandia line-up here, all links in this post 'cause I love). 

I put my outfit together on Saturday afternoon and did all my pictures long before we left (I redid my make-up for the real event), so that I'd have some natural light for pictures.
I felt liberated to go a little edgier - and why not? Just because I am nearly 56 is no reason not to dress up! 

  • Satin duster jacket - Le Chateau, vintage 90s, thrifted; last worn here (3rd outfit) in April for Book Club with dazzling pants
  • Sequined mini-dress - Ed Hardy by Christian Audigier, vintage 00s; purchased here for $22.00
  • Boots - Original Sabado, Fluevog; last seen here in August for Mom-Day at Beaver Lake

I love pushing the limits of what's deemed "appropriate" especially when it comes to ageist BS. 
Yeah, I'm wearing a wig...and a very short dress! And I looked and felt great. 

It was very warm during the day, but I was dressed for when the sun went down. Wigs are actually great when it's chilly. 
I was still a bit cold as the evening went on and regretted not wearing some long leather gloves. Lesson learned! 

I didn't take the duster off at all, but here's the ensemble without it. 
I'm wearing pink tights with a pair of fancy open-net and lace black tights layered over top. 

I also have a black camisole underneath for extra warmth. 
Better not bend over! The long duster hid the boring black back and gave me "hem security."

Incognito and flashing my Swear Rings. 
I am ready to get my groove on, baby! 

Rock on! 
Same purse as for brunch, with another bag inside it for carrying merch/concert tees. 

The stuff: 
We walked to and from town and danced, strolled and grooved for five hours. My feet were very tired by the time we got home at 12:30am. 

Badass bling: 
Concert-wear is for over-the-top extra! F#@! is for my crowd anxiety. 

  • Studded leather cuff - vintage 90s
  • Leather cuff - thrifted, Guess
  • Sterling silver Swear Rings - Wendy Brandes
  • Amethyst/silver ring - vintage mall
  • Heart earrings - vintage fair

We arranged to meet up with Cat and Ross at the venue, but first, some goodbye cuddles with our purry boy. 
"Stay home with me."


L's customized/vintage blazer was a hit with the young EDM (Electronic Dance Music) crowd at Electric Avenue. His new-to-him Topman trousers were purchased at Turnabout last weekend. 

Aw, I love my guys. 
"I promise I'll be good."


We'd waffled about actually going to the show on Saturday, even though we bought full festival passes. It's been a rough week - the temptation to stay at home was great. 

Getting dressed up got us back in our groove! Oh, yeah, we LIKE doing this stuff! 
Best $5 I ever spent - that blazer's been in heavy rotation in L's closet all summer. He's wearing a thrifted vintage vest, the new trousers, a thrifted belt buckle, and Fluevog Cooper Swordfish shoes. The cowboy hat is from Nashville, Tennessee, and the pendant is from Run The Jewels' 2017 album release, a gift to L from the local record shop. 

We're gonna rock down to...Electric Avenue (enjoy the song here)! 
We both had a lot of positive reactions to our outfits, and we were in no way the most dressed-up, outlandish or OTT people there. I let go of all that self-consciousness and embraced my inner Rock Star. 

A young deer spotted on the way to town. 
Its mother was on the other side of the street. 

It's about a 25-minute walk to town. 
And the sun was just going down. We redeemed our tickets for wristbands and headed inside the venue. 

I wanted to get there before it was fully dark, so that I could have an idea of where everything was. That eases my anxiety about being in the big crowd. 
This is the Main Stage, where the bigger acts played. 

An old factory building in the background, looking towards the Dome stage on the right (lots of shoegaze and EDM there). There was also another stage, Base 2, in the upper part of the venue. 
We got a quick dinner at the Teriyaki food truck on the left - it ended up being a touchstone/meeting spot for us all night. "If we get separated, meet at the Teriyaki."

The crowds were still light by this time - the venue had been open since 4pm. Beerfest had also been on in another venue all weekend, and there were a lot of drunk people weaving around. 
I loved this wall of illuminated balls. We saw many people doing pics and videos in front of the many light and visual art installations. 

DJ Blu DeTiger (link here) on the Main Stage. 
She came out and played the bass (very well), but I get a little bored with songs that all blend together. It's just not to my taste. 

We also discovered that Chromeo (link here) was not to our taste either. 
So we decided to wander around the big venue area and check out the other stages. 

Cool. Another visual wall. 
Many folks took "electric" literally. 

Note the lit-up dress and puffy vest below - I was envious! I want lights on my clothes! 
My little camera struggled in the low light, even though I adjusted the settings. 

We wandered over to the Dome to check out the tail end of Cazztek (link here). 
Also, not much to our taste, but fine to bop along to for a while while we people-watch. 

We considered chilling out in the lounge. 
Our feet said yes, but neither of us felt like engaging. We tend to attract the oddballs in the crowd - and we were definitely in the age minority. 

It was getting crowded, as people arrived for the Run The Jewels set. 
I felt bad for the residents of the apartment towers on the right - we could hear the "thump thump" of Rifflandia on the previous two nights till 11pm, and we're much farther away. 

We navigated through the crowds - I held onto L's sleeve and try not to think about the sheer numbers of people - up to Base 2, where we had a blast at Jungle bobby's set (link here). 
He was joined by a couple of guests, all of whom had probably ingested too many substances, but were having a good time - there was much sing-along and shouting when prompted. L and I were quite close under the tent in the sparse crowd, as more people streamed down to the Main Stage. 

When Jungle bobby wrapped up, we wandered past Lafflandia, the comedy tent, but it didn't grab us. Chromeo was still going on. 
It was about this time that my camera became possessed, and started taking series of artsy-filtered pics every time I snapped - I'd knocked a button setting when pulling it out of my purse. 

It took better pics this way, so I left the new setting on for the rest of the night. 
So many people! You can see some of the laser show going on at the Dome in the distance. 

We grabbed more drinks and headed back up to Base 2 where XL The Band (link here) was firing up.
They were a rapper, a DJ, a flautist/keyboardist/vocalist, a wicked trombone player and a trumpet player, plus drums. 

This was a solidly fun set - they were our second favourite show of the night. The trombone player had the crowd roaring with delight. 
Cat and Ross caught up with us here and watched until the set was over. We also ran into dear friend Linda and associates. 

We headed down to the Main Stage to stake out a spot for the big show. 
L is making the RTJ hand symbols - they're also on his pendant. 

And here they are floating over the stage. 
It's Run The Jewels!! Link here. I freaking love these guys! 

There was a drone show during their set. The set was awesome - they did all our favourite songs - but the drone show was...okay and a bit distracting. 
Almost as distracting as the furry couple (note the ears) petting each other. Run The Jewels played until midnight (sorry, neighbours!). Exhausted, we walked home. 

We both bought the same concert tee. 
The RTJ hands DJ-ing. 

Yup, I'm a rap fan. 
I like the mummy hands - I might work this into an outfit in October. 

And lastly, some pretty pictures. My artsy camera settings resulted in some beautiful shots of this light installation. 
Me with rainbow wings. 

Fancy black and white shot. 
Cool. 

But L's pics were stellar. 
Wow, thanks, camera! 

This ultra-filtered pic is also cool. 
A great memory of a great evening! We were both so glad we mustered our energy and went. There's another weekend of Rifflandia in a week, so looking forward to that, and more crazy outfits! 

I hope you all enjoyed our weekend shenanigans. And now, my friends, I'm going to go watch some football. 

18 comments:

  1. I'm loving the slightly Autumnal vibes of Friday's outfit, and it's always a delight to see Saturday's vintage skirt. However, it's your festival-going outfit and wig which put the biggest smile on my face! L.'s outfit is pretty funky too. You guys rock! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Autumn is my favourite season, so it doesn't take much to nudge me in that direction, Ann! Thanks so much - we had so much fun dressing up!

      Delete
  2. Hazaah, what a set of FABULOUS festival outfits, you two always wow me with your interest in dressing for occasions, especially concerts and special events. I am GOBSMACKED by both your outfits and yours in particular. Ha, 56 is just a number but chronological age is often not indicative of inner energy and vibes! May you always dress as you like!

    Your camera has a brilliant mind of its own, and all your pictures had me feeling like I was there with you, the only parts missing were the audio and sense of picking up the vibes through my feet. How long did it take you to wind down from the event and fall asleep?

    Cheers, Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laurie! Dressing up like this FEELS so good - it's very liberating and I just love that we saw so many people who also went all-out with their outfits. My own inner ageism makes me insecure, but I push myself to not listen, heh.

      The audio was pretty good, considering we had three stages competing with each other. I found the smell overpowering - vaping, smoke, food trucks, sweaty people. Yuck. We were up for at least 2 hours before we could go to bed!

      Delete
    2. Yikes, the wind down time made for a long night, but that’s what weekends are for. :) Ah, understood on your sense of smell being overloaded. I would have felt the same. So nice that Victoria has space for and welcomes large outdoor events.

      Interesting what you noted about your own inner ageism. I think we have been inundated since childhood to appreciate youth, have specific ideas of what is and isn’t appropriate at any age, and blame age for myriad issues. It’s work to revise our habituated sense of aging. I wince every time I’ve made a comment like “my aging body” or “chalk it up to age” because, as words of wisdom in books and articles have taught me, these have become standard replies rather than informed comments. In other words, it’s so easy to use age as a blanket response.

      Delete
    3. I was happy that the smell issue wasn't a problem at Royal Athletic Park, Laurie. It was much windier, which helped.

      Yes, very much agree with that. I often catch myself blaming age or talking down about myself in an ageist way.

      Delete
  3. Wow that wig really looks smashing on you! And I buy Scotch&Soda on Vinted. I remember I bought a brown suit from this brand when I was 16! Did you still want to join the denim skirt challenge??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy! Oh, sweet, I love their stuff! Shoot, I totally forgot, I'm sorry! Next time, hopefully.

      Delete
  4. Rifflandia looks amazing! I love Run the Jewels, they've never made it big here but 6Music love them and often play them.
    How fabulous are your festival outfits? The wig is brilliant and all the cool kids have worn fishnets this festival season, finding the Ed Hardy dress was perfectly timed. I loved L's badass cowboy/ pimp outfit, too. Oh yes, the weirdo crowd - we're a standing target and our name doesn't help either!
    That vintage skirt is glorious, I'd happily steal it off you!
    That denim suit is utterly mad, I don't think I could have resisted it either! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a rousing good time, Vix! Thank you so much - I love fishnets, and you know my love for Ed Hardy. This was a much odder crowd than this past weekend, which had a lot more punks and rock & rollers. Lol, I bet you get a lot of salacious comments about your kinky melons!

      I am looking forward to wearing the denim suit - maybe this Friday!

      Delete
  5. Fab outfits both for Friday and the festival! Both you and L looked amazing. I loved your new 'trouser suit' and can't wait to see you in it. It's going to look gorgeous on you. The festival seemed like fun and hitting a button inadvertently on your camera gave you some brilliant special effects - both you and L look fantastic with your angel wings. The furry people looked very weird to me but I did only get a back view...

    I bet you had lovely long lie-in on Sunday morning after all that excitement...
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Vronni! The denim suit is amazing, and I'm excited to wear it - I just had to get through all these fests! The furry people WERE weird, I'll say it!

      Not too long of a lie-in, as we had football to watch, but I do tend to doze during the games.

      Delete
  6. Love the wig. Simply considering it displays your whimsy. And L's a lucky guy: you bring out the rock star in him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy wearing wigs to play with people's perceptions. L is sufficiently rock-star-ish now that he would wear all of this without me. I've trained him well, lol.

      Delete
  7. wow, I love the wig!, and love your Rock'n'roll Attitude and Fabulous Outfit!, the 'dress' actually rocks and totally agree it's a great tip to wear a duster over it!, so brilliant!, and love the tights and boots and pink details all around!. And obviously, I'm admiring L's fab outfit too!, rocking it!.
    Brilliant pictures and great job managing anxiety!, that's hard work!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monica! I was pleased at how well the dress worked with the long duster coat. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  8. I love your festival outfit.
    You look smoking hot!
    L is stylish too.
    You two make a rocking couple.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so incredibly special, and I love them and hug them and treasure them forever. Please feel free to tell me what you think!

I'm not currently able to respond to comments, but I will make every effort to answer questions. I do read every single one, and appreciate your comments.

Please note that comments containing affiliate links spam-y sites, spam comments and anything I deem inappropriate will be deleted.

Cheers,
Sheila