Hello, my friends! Are you ready for an Extra-Bigass post? Grab a cup of tea and get settled in, 'cause I have a lot of outfits and tales of adventure to share.
Let's cast our minds back to Thursday's work outfit, shall we?
- Blouse - Suzy Shier, thrifted, Powell River; purchased here for $4.99
- Vest - CABi, consignment; last worn here with a floral maxi in September 2019
- Skirt - J. Crew, thrifted; last seen here in November 2019 with circles and orbs
- Boots - Baroque Velasquez, Fluevog; last worn here in March 2019 with velvet, lace and ruffles
- Raincoat (below) - Avoca; last seen here in January
I used to wear this leather vest very frequently back in the early- to mid-00s on the blog, but it has fallen out of favour in recent years.
When they eventually come back into style, I'll be ready! It's an in-vest-ment!
I wore a neutral cami under it for cleavage coverage.
|I'm showing my earrings here, as they're not really visible in these pics|
The cream zippered skirt is a favourite - it's 100% wool and very thick and luxe-feeling.
Outerwear - it's winter, it's raining. Rain rain rain.
- Cashmere beret - Club Monaco, thrifted
- Pashmina - Portolano, thrifted
- Leather gloves - consignment
- Snake earrings - local
Here's a close-up of the boots' embossed leather pattern.
But no time to linger! On Thursday night, we had a quick dinner, and then got ready to go out!
- Sweater - Maison Scotch, thrifted; first worn here for New Year's Eve
- Skirt - Trina Turk, thrifted; last seen here in November 2019 with a striped sweater that didn't match
- Boots - Gabor; last worn here in January for our trip to Powell River
- Leather blazer (below) - Danier Leather, thrifted; last seen here in December 2019
This is a pretty similar outfit to my New Year's look - baggy sweater + tulle skirt + hat.
|"Wait, why are you going out on a Thursday?"|
We went to see the Beaches in concert! This is our second time seeing them (first time here in April 2018).
Black, grey and blue for the win!
Outerwear - I don't like wearing a bulky coat to a concert.
- Hat - Delux
- Scarf - Roots, thrifted
- Gloves - Danier Leather
- Purse - Danier, thrifted
- Belt - Karen Millen, thrifted
- Eelskin cuff - thrifted, but probably mine from about 1986
- Leather cuff - Guess, thrifted
- Earrings - thrifted
- Lapis lazuli ring/Fulvia Ring - Wendy Brandes
The Beaches played at the Capital Ballroom - check out L's review of their current EP and the show here.
Victoria was the first stop on the Professional Tour.
here*), and you live in one of these cities, you should go!
*As always, all links 'cause I love!
As you would expect, I was rather tired for a full day of work on Friday.
- Dress - Chetta B, thrifted; first worn here (3rd outfit) in November 2019 for a Ghost Walk
- Turtleneck - Jacob, thrifted; last seen here (2nd outfit) in January for brunch with L
- Shoes - Seychelles; last worn here in December 2019 for a shopping expedition
- Coat (below) - Apparence, vintage 80s, thrifted; last seen here in January
Look at all the pattern! Pay no attention to the sleepy woman!
I like to point out that this dress is NOT a print; that's woven texture.
here in Feb 2010!!). How's that for slow fashion?
If I look apprehensive, it's because I'm thinking of the evening ahead.
- Gloves - Cejon, thrifted
- Necklace - Aldo, first wearing
- Leather/chain cuff - local
- Bracelet - thrifted
- Earrings - thrifted
Friday night was the Victoria Film Festival's Gala Opening, themed, "The Glamourama of Deception." Not knowing what the heck that was supposed to mean, I went with glamour. I supposed my "deception" is that I don't really have blue hair. Fooled you!
This is my entry for "Visible Monday" over at Patti's Not Dead Yet Style! I felt like a movie star in my gunmetal dress!
- Dress - Vince Camuto; first seen here (3rd outfit) in December 2018 for my company Christmas party
- Shoes - Maleika Conquer, Fluevog; last worn here in December 2019 with Alexander McQueen trousers
- Cape (below) - Coracle Clothes, vintage 60s, pass-along from Sheila A; last worn here in November 2019
When Yvonne was over last week for me to style her up for the Gala, I pulled this dress out for her to try on. She didn't recognize it, and I realized that I'd never worn it with my friends! This necessitated a full outfit re-vamp on my end from what I'd had planned, including a mad dash out in the rain on Friday to purchase a wig and a purse with a long strap.
I turned around and said, "Well, the theme is the Glamourama of Deception. Too bad you couldn't find anything suitable to wear." That shut her up.
|Ack, should have straightened out the front - was in a hurry!|
No one snarks on my glamourama!
In case you wondered why the boring black shoes, I really need about 4 inches of heel so that the dress doesn't drag too much.
We only had an hour to get ready - we picked up Cat and Ross and cabbed to the Vic Theatre for the premiere of "La Belle Epoque," a wonderful movie that left all of us long-married/partnered couples feeling very affectionate to our spouses. It originally premiered at Cannes - Variety review here, and I would recommend it. We all agreed that it's the best movie that the VFF has done for opening night in the 6 years that our group's been attending.
|"Move it, the cab's here!"|
I was rushed on my outerwear (you can see I missed a button on my cape) and didn't have gloves, a scarf or an umbrella. I regretted that.
You may be as creeped out as I was by L's outfit.
His new burgundy-brown suit, a yellow shirt, a vintage orange tie, a 20+ year-old lion pendant, Fluevog shoes.
A close-up of my head - the tiara doesn't show up well in the other pictures.
- Tiara - Icing
- Purse - Le Chateau
- Cuff - Swarovski, consignment, gift from L
- Lapis lazuli ring/Fulvia Ring - Wendy Brandes
- Earrings - vintage fair
I took some dark, blurry pictures - lucky readers! There were two REAL photographers at the Gala, but no pictures are posted just yet. I'll include pics and a link to those in a future post, once they are up. But for now, enjoy my blurry party pics.
At the venue - Nick and I in the "lip room".
Hey, Yvonne, what's behind that door?
It's a volunteer, posed with a tiny piano!
|"I've been offered 6 glasses of wine so far, but thanks for asking!"|
Thanks to all the volunteers for their hard work on the Gala!
Here's Randall and L.
I have such beautiful, glamourous friends.
here in November 2018), and Joanne. I gave Yvonne my Simon Chang gown (worn once here, 3rd outfit, in October 2019 for my birthday party, pic here) - it looked spectacular on her, not so much on me.
We snuck into the windmill tower, which was not included in the party set-up, although I think it should have been.
I loved the full log beams on the ceiling.
Here's my lovely Vero.
And Karen and Cat, all glammed up in black. I see Ross peeking behind Cat...
here in June 2014 for L's birthday ).
I loaned her a gold purse of mine, and I also gave her my bronzy-gold Big Presence Desmond Fluevogs that she has on here, as they just don't work for my feet anymore (boo, sad). I last wore them here in October 2019, and tracking back, I wore them 33 times since I bought them here in Feb 2015 - I'm very happy with that! No regrets, except that those shoes hurt my feet now.
Cat and I laughed that we both ended up with our colourful bobbed wigs on. Both of us have fine hair that doesn't like rain, so it worked out well. I love this magenta colour - reminds me of my old actual hair.
Ross joined Cat - he wore a super-sequiny blazer in red and black.
Here's a pic of me modeling them in 2010 (this post here). I love helping style up my friends, and am happy to loan them stuff that makes their outfits sing.
Me and Cat posing with this big ball of paper roses.
While I was exploring the space, I missed out on our group getting pictures with actor/movie start BILL NIGHY. I did get to meet him, shake his hand (gently, he has arthritis), and exchange a few words. He liked my outfit. If you don't know who he is, here's his IMBD page, but you might remember him from "Love Actually" (he's the best part, clip here) or "Shaun of the Dead" ("sorry, Phil!" clip here).
These lovely ladies are at every Gala.
We spent the bulk of the night on the dance floor.
Justin and Linda.
L and I slept in a bit after that late night, and realized, "Hey, it's only Saturday! Let's go for brunch!"
- Blouse - Zoe & Sam, thrifted; first worn here in December 2019 for Book Club Christmas dinner
- Skirt - Mexx, consignment; last worn here (2nd outfit) in November 2019 with a fox for brunch
- Shoes - Mellow Bossa Nova, Fluevog; purchased here for $99.00
- Coat (below) - Zara, gift from Dominque; last seen here in November 2019
Shades of orange - I was very bright.
I have a camisole on under my blouse, which is silk, so still insulating and warm.
I test-drove these new shoes to see how they would stand up for a full day on my feet.
Outerwear - this light blue coat was perfect for a sunny day, although in the afternoon as the sun started to go down it was chilly.
- Gloves - Club Monaco, consignment
- Necklace - Matisse by Renoir, vintage 60s, vintage fair
- Bracelet (part of a set with earrings, not worn) - Renoir, vintage 60s, vintage fair
- Earrings - vintage fair
I went to Flavour Upstairs, where I found this amazing skirt.
And look at that wonderful beaded fringe!
It's by Mica, and was $19.99.
I fell hard for these red high-waisted full-legged trousers.
These are by Zara Basic, and were $29.99, which felt a bit high, but I loved them, so whatever.
From Flavour Upstairs, I went to the big WIN store on Pandora (hello to the lovely twin Aussie ladies I met there!).
It's by Tabi and is 100% cotton.
This sweater WAS in the vintage section - I love this cut on me.
It's by Intimate, and is an acrylic/wool blend.
This skirt was marked as Special, so someone in the pricing department at WIN had a good eye.
It's by Jaeger and made in Great Britain. It's definitely vintage. 1960s?
That seems very low to me.
I am very fussy about dresses - I tend to like them to have good shape/seaming and to be a plain colour or a classic pattern.
It was $26.95, and was probably sold at Dots, which carries a big range of samples from Sandwich.
And today, nothing but groceries and blogging, with the Oscars tonight. We also have to spend some quality time with Vizzini, who has missed us desperately.
|"No, I haven't! This is your leg!"|
Such a liar! I hope you all had a fabulous weekend! Been to any concerts or galas lately?