First of all, I hope all my US friends had a very Happy Thanksgiving. Here's a lovey Vizzini face for you.
|"I appreciate my fans."|
We've had a wonderful quiet weekend, which I'm sure I will look back upon fondly and longingly as we roll into heavy-duty party/event season over the next five weeks. We've played tons of board games, had several naps, and watched a lot of football, and Vizzini has been very happy to have us at home.
We spent our Thursday off watching US Thanksgiving NFL, eating chili (there might have been naps and doziness at various points during games), and hanging out with long-time best friends Nick and Casey.
I was up early on Friday and off to check out the Black Friday deals at local consignment stores Turnabout and House of Savoy (check out my favourite local shops here). I'd always rather shop local and second-hand.
- Wool dress - Club Monaco, thrifted; first worn here (3rd outfit) in March for Winesday
- Shoes - Matisse; last seen here in September with a bunch of pattern-mixing
- Coat (below) - Donna Karan, consignment; first worn here last weekend, the day I bought it
It's a pretty basic black dress - I'll have my coat on while I shop, so functionality is key.
I owned a cocoon-shaped sweater dress like this back in the 80s (in yellow!).
Outerwear - there we are, all bundled up.
My angora toque is from the 90s, complete with the little fabric and plastic flower. By the way, "toque" is the name for these hats - it's pronounced to rhyme with "kook." How has this word not caught on? I hear/have read of these hats referred to as "knitted caps", but "toque" is so much easier. And it's only one word!
- Toque - vintage 90s, thrifted
- Scarf - thrifted
- Wool gloves - Parkhurst
I was snuggly warm without being too sweaty.
- Earrings - consignment
I did have to remove my earrings while at Turnabout: they were catching on clothes, so I just zipped them away for the duration.
At Turnabout, I found these lovely patent leather loafers.
They have a good heel - not too flat, which can also be painful - and a nice profile.
Not a lot of wear on the soles.
My guess at leather was confirmed by the content tag (leather inners and uppers, synthetic sole), and they're by Shoe the Bear, a brand I've seen at select boutiques around town.
I really liked the asymmetrical hemline of this wrap skirt, although the pattern plays games with my eyes. To me, in this picture, it looks like brown shapes on a tan background, outlined in red or rust.
This skirt made me gasp and giggle when I put it on - I even came out of the fitting room and twirled for the staff.
It's a fine, soft mesh with black "dots" (they are more like blobs) all over it.
It's by Twinset and was new with tags. It's marked at $515.00, which (viewing their site) is about right. Wow, I'm glad I didn't pay that much.
I might have to wear it with this piece of badassery!
|"I'm assuming you're talking about me."|
I had to get the skirt far away from that little monster, who wanted to chew on it.
Anyway, the coat! Check this out: red faux fur, faux leather, and all the straps and buckles a girl could possibly want. And pockets.
It's by Topshop and would have been around $200 new.
I had to put it on.
From my successful haul at Turnabout, I crossed the street to House of Savoy, where I found a couple of things that I really liked.
A nice big side zip and a snap at the top.
I was a bit surprised that it was H&M...
this one), which even has the same bigass zipper up the back. I bet they are the same season!
I spotted these green earrings - the mod shapes really appealed to me.
I like that they are not symmetrically shaped.
Vizzini, which is your favourite?
|"My choice is made."|
My favourite is the bigass black tulle skirt - what's yours?
On Saturday, I was up early for my Mental Health Walk - it was -3 this morning, with lots of frost, and it was COLD down near the ocean! I was very happy to jump in a hot shower after that!
- Teddy faux fur top - H&M, consignment; last worn here in December 2018 with my Christmas tree skirt
- Grey turtleneck - Bossini, thrifted; purchased here for $7.95
- Skirt - TKStyle, thrifted; last seen here (2nd outfit) in February for a snowy shop
- Boots - Truths Teah, Fluevog; last worn here (2nd outfit) in October for a closet clean-out
- Coat (below) - Donna Karan, consignment; last worn above
I layered my new-to-me grey cotton top under this faux fur top.
I'm a fan of this olive green pull-on sweater knit skirt. Why?
I have thick grey tights on under this.
- Wool/faux fur gloves - Parkhurst
- Silver/gold cuff - JPL, vintage fair
- Bracelet - POLY, thrifted
- Necklace - POLY, thrifted
- Steel earrings - gift from Lise
- Bronze ring - P. Sarpaneva, c. 1970, vintage expo
- POLY rings from two vintage fairs and the Hamilton Art Museum gift shop
- Two-stone silver ring - vintage mall
Vizzini was in a snit this morning, stubbornly sleeping on the top of his post in the living room, between the deck doors. Our deck is not insulated; this is NOT the warmest spot!
|"I'm staying here until it gets warmer, and that's that."|
He's going to be disappointed and cranky when he wakes up and it's even colder.
I happened to notice something on the trees from the bedroom window.
|"Buzz off, lady."|
Great Scott! It's a squirrel!
He looks cold, doesn't he?
|"Nah, I have a fur coat on."|
We have quite a few squirrels in our neighbourhood, along with raccoons and urban deer.
On Sunday, my colleague Simona picked me up and we went for brunch at The Village, as a thank you from her to me for my shopping expertise. Aw, that's so sweet.
- Mohair sweater - thrifted; last worn here in September with autumn pastels
- Wool dress - Dolce & Gabbana, vintage 90s, thrifted; last seen here in June with loads of bling
- Boots - Prepare Guide, Fluevog; last worn here for a snowy day in February with my Muppet skirt
- Suede coat (below) - Prosper & Devine, vintage mall; last seen here in March
I dressed for warmth - it was still pretty early too (10am!), so the fuzziness of all of my pieces was soothing.
I refer to this suede jacket as my Tentacle Coat.
- Fur boa - thrifted
- Leather gloves - Danier
- Necklace - thrifted
- Earrings - can't remember
- Lapis lazuli ring/ Fulvia Ring - Wendy Brandes
I'll be joining Patti over at Not Dead Yet Style once "Visible Monday" is up! See you there!