Monday, November 12, 2018

Bigass Weekend Wrap-Up: Vintage Fair Velvet; Brealfast and Shopping; Grey and Wine Gathering

Happy extra-long weekend! We have lots to get through, so let's get 'er done, starting with Friday's outfit for the Christmas Vintage Fair. 
 Velvet, slinky, and vintage! I won't get too many chances to wear this dress (it's a tad boobalicious for the office), so when an opportunity presents itself...one must rise to the occasion.

Linking up to "Visible Monday" over at Patti's Not Dead Yet Style - go, what are you waiting for?


  • Dress - Betsey Johnson, vintage 90s, thrifted; first worn here in June for dinner out
  • Shoes - Wonders Ayers, Fluevog; last worn here in an all-green outfit in October
  • Jacket (below) - Forever 21, thrifted; last seen here in December 2017 over a party dress


L and I chilled out all day together, and then I got dressed and bused to the Fair with Karen, where we met up with Cat, Yvonne and Caro. Hello to Dar, who spotted me there!
 After the fair, we strolled over to Spinnakers Pub and met up with all of our menfolk for a few bevvies and dinner.

I was glad I'd worn something simple - there are never change rooms at these fairs, so the few things I tried on I just pulled on/over/under this.
 I counted on not trying on any shoes - these double-straps are annoying to buckle and unbuckle. I have to commit to wearing them!

Outerwear - bundled up for the cold. Did not need the fur toque, which stayed in my bag all night.
 Instead of matching my coat to my outfit, I threw on this cropped fuzzy jacket.

Why not go full vamp?
 The long leather gloves are lined in cashmere - I've had them for years - and they are great for short coat sleeves.


  • Toque - Danier Leather
  • Gloves - Club Monaco, consignment


The stuff:
 Easy to walk in shoes, good for about 3 hours standing on my feet.

Autumn bling:
 All things destined to be home-grown vintage.


  • Necklace/earrings - Plum (c. 2010)
  • Bracelet - faux Gucci, gift from Mom & Dad, Italy
  • Amber ring - c. 1996
  • Crystal ring - Uffizi Gallery gift shop, Florence, Italy


I had quite good luck this time - I spent my budget and found some great items. In the WIN section, I was immediately drawn to this wonderful red knit skirt.
 It's quite long, to mid-calf.

It's got some age on it - I would say early 80s? N. Peal, Burlington Arcade, London. They are known for their high-quality cashmere, apparently.
 I've never heard of the store, but it's been in Burlington Arcade in London since 1936 (link here 'cause I love).

John Laing of Hawick, Scotland, is the manufacturer, and that is 100% cashmere. It's really good quality cashmere too - very thick and soft. I examined it very carefully for moth-holes - none!
 And for only $23.95 - yes, mine, hands off! It felt like a bargain!

I really liked these organic/abstract gold earrings too.
They are metal, but are really light.

I think they are actually some sort of plant/flower that's been gold-plated. Any guesses? They are not symmetrical with each other.
 Each of them has a loop on the back. Either they used to have an additional piece hanging from them, or they can be worn as pendants? I don't know...but they were $8.00. Paid! They're fun.

I have a hard time finding bracelets, because my wrists are very small. This one fit, and I like the mid-century modern look of it.
 It was $30.00 and at first I thought it was steel, but after I had a good look at it, I found stamps/marks on it.

This one says 925 JPA.
 So, sterling silver. I couldn't find anything about "JPA" online, although I did find this same cuff for sale for $59.00 and $99.00, so I feel pretty good about $30.

The 2nd mark also has "10K" - this is directly behind the gold accent on the disc.
 So...10 karat gold! Nice.

Here's how it looks.
 I am really happy with this piece.

I have a lot of big gold statement necklaces, but very few silver ones. This caught my eye.
The earrings were clipped onto the necklace, so I didn't notice them at first. I do love a set! They are clip-ons, and are not too heavy.

It has a very 70s look about it - what do you think? The texture looks like crushed rock or chunky salt crystals were used for the mould.
 There are no stamps or markings on it anywhere, so it's not high-end, but it's a fun piece.

I like the nice clasp and the chains.
 And for $22.00, I was happy.

I found a lovely blue suede purse for only $5.00.
 It is so soft, and in beautiful condition. It doesn't look like it's ever been used.

Nice detail on the closure and where the straps attach, and a little zip pocket inside (metal zipper).
 The inside lining feels like cotton, and there is plastic backing in the zippered pocket. I examined every seam - it really is suede.

At the same booth, I found this little "925" marked ring.
 It was also $5.00.

I'll wear it as a pinky ring! Like bracelets, I have really skinny fingers and have a hard time finding rings small enough.
 Yay! I love having a nice pinky ring.

Same booth again - they had a $2.00 table that I spent some time rummaging through.
 I came up with the gold danglers and these faux crystal sunflower earrings. Fun! And for less than a cup of coffee!

My big splurge of the night was this snake bracelet. I have the belt, and I needed the cuff!
 There were two at the booth; one was two coils and wider (possibly upper arm?), but I really liked this triple coil one. It was also smaller and is snug on my wrist.

It's stamped "Whiting & Davis Co", a company I was not familiar with (history link here, 'cause I love).
 I see lots of these around the interwebz and people seem to have not done their homework, listing these as 1950s - it does say in the history that the first "Cleopatra" collection came out in 1963.

This is probably from the 70s or early 80s, smack dab in the disco era. It has some wear on it - the inside colouring is a bit faded - someone loved it and wore it. I know she would be happy that I have given it a good home.
 It was marked at $75.00 but the seller kindly offered to sell it for $60.00. Thank you! I love it!

On Saturday, L and I were up early for breakfast at Floyd's, followed by grocery shopping and a wee thrift expedition for me.
 I just liked how all of these elements came together - everything is stuff I've had for years.


  • Velvet embroidered blazer - Le Chateau, consignment; last worn here in November 2017 in a full cowgirl outfit
  • Sweater - Dalkeith of Scotland, vintage early 60s, thrifted; last seen here (2nd outfit) in February, hiding under my Gookey lace bomber jacket
  • Skirt - Club Monaco, consignment; last worn here in November 2017 for another shopping expedition
  • Boots - BCBG Max Azria; last seen here (4th outfit) following our September rock & roll holiday


The blazer is the star of the outfit, so I pulled colours from the embroidery out for the outfit. This vintage green sweater is such a great cut.
Win! This gold brocade skirt has pockets.

I'm wearing blue tights (in case you can't see them). I like the details that other people don't notice.
"Oh great, you're going out again."
 I just adore this blazer - it's been a favourite for a long time. The embroidery is just lovely.

We had a beautiful sunny day, so no coat was needed - what a treat!
"I wonder if I can make it into the hall?"

Easy boots for walking to town and back, plus lots of shopping.

Outerwear - I just added this silk velvet rock-star scarf...
 ...and my purple leather gloves (cashmere/wool-lined, of course).


  • Scarf - thrifted
  • Gloves - Danier Leather


The stuff:
 Easy shoes to take off, and minimal bling.


  • Gold hoops - 5th anniversary gift from L


I went to Flavour Upstairs for good browse, but only found one thing.
 However, it is a bright pink fur boa Muppet thing, and was only $12.99, and I love it, so I'm good.

Feeling like I still had a bit of shopping karma left in me, I stopped briefly in at the WIN store. I couldn't resist this fabulous choker.
 It's brushed rhodium-plated and those are Swarovski crystals.

How do I know this? Because I have other Myka Designs jewelry!
 I'm very familiar with this company. I have a necklace and earrings set (pic here) and the matching bracelet (here)

Happy to see all the stamps.
 This would have been about $200+ new.

I spotted this fun brooch in the $1.00 bin.
 It reminds me of books tipping over.

I found this fabulous pink beret.
 So soft!

I thought $14.95 seems a bit high - although it is cashmere.
 But then I saw the Club Monaco label - this would have been about $98.00 new.

I am a sucker for a funky shoe, and I have a soft spot for white soles.
 I loved how these felt on - and they rung my bells. Oh yeah.

They don't appear to have ever been worn - not a mark on them.
 The soles have a little bit of dirt, so maybe they were worn once.
They are marked "39" (the size - I'm usually a 40, but I try everything around my size).

I did not know the brand Harpers at all, but they are in Tunbridge Wells, which is a town in the UK (I did not know this).
 Sure! There is not a single marking anywhere on the shoes, aside from the size stamped on the sole. Just the name inside...

...and this little gold logo on the ankle.
 They are sueded leather and are fully lined in leather - they feel like really good quality.

Not bad for $18.95!
 I'm sure you could add a "0" and that would be an accurate retail price.

I saved even more - these were originally $29.95 at WIN.
 Score!

I quickly did a pass-through of the half-price rack at the back of the store, and I'm so glad I did.
 I totally needed a pink linen trenchcoat with a pink satin lining!

It has bias-cut ruffles around the lower lapels.
 I'll give this a good steaming and get all the "hang" wrinkles out of it. Won't this be lovely for spring?

It's by Tangerine Jill! Awesome - you may recall I have the eyeball dress, the stained glass dress, and the firecracker dress by them. They were a local company, now out of business.
This was half price, so $21.50. I'm sure it would have been a couple hundred dollars new.

Vizzini, what do you think of all of this?
"The pink muppet scarf should be mine."
He has already tried to give it a bath!

On Sunday, we had our usual long weekend get-together with our ginormous crew of 18 friends. It being Remembrance Day, I didn't want to be too colourful or garish, so went with a somewhat subdued and somber grey.
 As you can tell, it was a lovely sunny day, but that bite of fall is in the air.


  • Dress - Romeo Gigli, vintage 80s, consignment; purchased here in August for $27.50
  • Boots - Miz Mooz; last seen here in February with a velvety Valentine's Day look
  • Coat (below) - Zara, gift from Dominique; last worn here in October


I reveled in the warmth of the sun on the stucco of our building.
 Ah, I love the sun.

This dress is...a challenge. Don't get me wrong, I do love it. I mean, look at this magnificent cut.
 Long, lean and slinky. This dress is 100% wool, thick and luxurious.

I wore my Frank Tuner tour tank-top to make my exposed black bra straps look purposeful instead of accidental.
 I have my vintage Christian Dior half-slip on the bottom. The dress is unlined, but it's wonderful quality.

The dress is snug through the hips and legs, and very loose on the top. It likes to slide around a bit, which is deliberate, I believe, as that's a characteristic of Gigli's late 80s/early 90s pieces.
 It really needs a belt - without one, it's nearly a full-length dress.

But check out this amazing feature - it has really long arms!
 It's doing a bit of a "Flashdance" neckline there! Oh, what a feeling!

At first, I was not quite sure about these extra long sleeves. They are about 6 inches too long.
 What to do?

But now I kind of love them.
 They kept my hands and arms warm, but happily stayed scrunched up my arms when I wanted them to be.

Outerwear - feeling like a rock star in this funky coat.
 The baby blue coat matches our walls in the den perfectly - it has little bits of wine-coloured leaves in the pattern.

And the extra-long sleeves covered up my lower arms; I pulled them right down to the knuckles of my gloves.
"Yes, L, I am nearly ready to go."

I was even extra-klassy and changed up my bag. Ooooh...


  • Purse - Steve Madden, consignment
  • Gloves - Parkhurst


The stuff:
 I love having matching belts and shoes/boots, don't you? They really make a style look cohesive. These boots are getting old - every time I wear them, someone tells me they used to have this pair!

Silver bling:
 Bold pieces for a simple outfit.


  • Silver/gold bracelet - vintage fair, $30 - first wearing
  • Steel bracelet - POLY, thrifted
  • Steel ring - POLY, thrifted
  • Gold/amethyst ring - Dad's, Frances Jewellers, c. 1965
  • Earrings - Brenda Schoenfeld, vintage 1992, vintage mall


I spotted Vizzini in a most unusual place this weekend.
"Curses, the Woman found me!"

He's in his house on the leopard scratching post!

He so rarely goes there (it's full of all of the unloved mousies).
"What? A cat can't nap in peace?"

He's really been feeling the sudden chill lately, and has been seeking out warm nap places, like L's tie box, and our laps.

But he hasn't gone in the house in years.
"Maybe I'm mellowing out."

Goodness knows. I've never been able to figure this cat out.

But it was the cutest thing.
"Move along! I know you're there, Woman."

I hope you all had a fantastic weekend! I'm off to enjoy my last day off.

28 comments:

  1. We have unloved mousies and fishies all over the house!
    You look marvelous as always - you are OWNING that black dress. And your new finds, esp that fab cuff, are TDF. I want to shop with you!! xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Vizzini's house is the default of where the unloved mousies go.

      Thank you, dear Patti! It's actually dark grey.

      I'll go shopping with you any time!

      Delete
  2. "I totally needed a pink linen trenchcoat with a pink satin lining!" Yes. Yes, you did!
    That embroidered jacket is to die for, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally did! Thanks, Cynthia! It's one of my favourite pieces ever.

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a feast for the eyes and the mind. I can’t believe how many treasures you share here today. The outfit that takes the cake, to my mind, is that fabulous metallic skirt and embroidered velvet jacket. Yum, swoon and drool. Ok, that should cover it.
    Beautiful organic gold earrings and that red knit skirt are wonderful acquisitions. I have heard of that knit company before .
    The velvet dress is also a beauty and a wonderful thing to wear when you are trying on other clothes. The leopard jacket works so beautifully with it as well. Those long sleeves! I have fun with them as well !!
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Elle
    https://theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elle, for the lovely long comment! I enjoy showing off the unique finds that I accrue along the way of my adventures.

      Delete
  4. what a lot of fabulous outfits!! I love your velvet dress and leopard jacket combo, and love your long gloves (cashmere lining is a great thing!) and bijouterie!
    Also love the golden skirt with your embroidered jacket, the fab color combo, the details and accessorizing!. Love your 'subdued colors' outfit, those burgundy boots and belt enhance everything and the coat is so cool!
    And I'm amazed by your fabulous purchases, all these bling! My favorite piece is the silver/gold bracelet, its geometric design is a beauty!. And the cute beret is a fab piece!
    Obviously, you need a pink linen trenchcoat with lovely lapels!. I need one too!! now!!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Monica! I think you could definitely use a pink trenchcoat with ruffled lapels! Everyone needs one!

      Delete
  5. I'm loving your sumptuous velvet dress, and I love it even more combined with that fabulous cropped jacket! Oh, and the gold brocade skirt and embroidered jacket is another favourite! And what fantastic stuff you found. I'm so pleased for you. Love the red skirt and that pink trench is to die for. The blue suede purse and pink beret: I can somehow see them together. Fabulous jewellery too, particularly that mid century modern bracelet (swoon!) and snake cuff! Vizzini in his scratching post house is too cute. "What? A cat can't nap in peace?", that really cracked me up ;-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt very daring, mixing my floral and my leopard. I always enjoy a good shopping haul, and since the last few vintage fairs have been sadly lacking, it felt so good to have some success!

      It was so funny to see Vizzini in his house - it's been years!

      Delete
  6. You got so many great purchases I don't even know where to begin! I am most excited about seeing how you wear the muppet scarf though, haha! And I think your dress is beautiful, even if the long sleeves are an odd part, it doesn't stop you loving and enjoying the dress :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mica! I'll be wearing that scarf a LOT, just like I wear my grey one a lot. I think the crazy sleeves on the dress are part of the attraction for me.

      Delete
  7. I know that your magic in finding amazing stuff comes from hard work. Shopping more than most of us, you stumble upon delights that only come from sustained effort. I respect that. The two bracelets are terrific and the gold skirt revs my engine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, definitely - I spend more time than most people shopping, and I've trained my eye to look for the things that really appeal to me. You love your shiny stuff! :)

      Delete
  8. That fair did you proud! You certainly had a brilliant long weekend of shopping. I love the snake, the Mongolian scarf (I have it's green twin!) and the Burlington Arcade skirt - well, all of it really!
    I don't generally like grey or knitwear but you are absolutely slaying it in that dress with the delicious plum accessories - wow!
    Cats are so strange - ours are forever finding new places to sleep. Vizzini looks very cosy in his rediscovered nest! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely weekend of shopping - now I need to make outfits to show everything off! The scarf is made in China and it's noted as lambswool. I have it in grey as well. Thanks so much, Vix!

      Oh, aren't they the funniest? Vizzini will now ignore that house for another couple of years, I'm sure.

      Delete
  9. You seem to have had a jewellery weekend score! What lovely pieces but my two favourites are the sunflower earrings and the wonderful silver and gold geometric bangle.

    Your outfits are lovely; the first dressy was so Christmassy just right for a Christmas Fair! Loved the long grey wool one, too, with the fabulous white coat on top. What a good idea to wear long elbow length gloves under shorter sleeved coats; I must remember that because in the past I have suffered from cold forearms. I only have one pair of elbow length gloves; they're emerald green so they'll do! Loved the embroidered blazer it's just lovely.

    Excellent finds especially the lovely pink trench.

    When you said Vizzini's mousies are in his house, I am assuming these are toys he doesn't play with? - I hope so! He did look so very 'at home' in his house!

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Funny how that goes. These vintage fairs always seem to have more jewelry/accessories - I don't really go to them for clothes (there are no fitting rooms). I felt very clever when I figured out the long gloves + short sleeves thing! Ooh, emerald green sounds lovely.

      Yes, once he's played with a mousie, then it's dead to him. We tend to throw them in there so that the cleaner doesn't suck them up in the vacuum. Happy week to you!

      Delete
  10. Oh yeah, tell me about unloved mouses. I absolutely love that gold silver bracelet, what a find! And your black dress is gorgeous, also the cropped jacket. If you are taking Patti shopping, I want to come along too!😂😂😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Unloved mousies everywhere, it seems. Thanks so much, Nancy! If you're ever in Victoria, I will totally take you shopping.

      Delete
  11. It was lovely to see you! You looked fabulous as always. Loving all of the outfits you've shown on the wrap up.

    I scored 4 vintage pins and am pretty happy with them. I'm a sucker for brooches. I pin them to my blazers, winter coats and usually my wool berets, just for the pop of colour and bling. I didn't seem much in the line of clothes I was interested in, I found it a little overwhelming with the amount of people at the fair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Dar! I'm so glad you spotted us! :)

      Wonderful that you found a few things - I know, this fair was PACKED. I never go to these for the clothes - it's too hard to see things and try them on.

      Delete
  12. I've been busting to tell you that at last I too, am now the proud owner of my first ever pair of over the knee boots! And, they are almost identical to yours. Mine are by Clarke's and honestly they look exactly the same. Next up is the fact that during the same shopping spree I found a 2nd hand pink trenchcoat too! Mine is off at the dry cleaners currently, and I can't wait to show you! Last of all, wow and wow again about those Harpers shoes - I love them. The funky soles are ace and I'd wear them in a heartbeat. In other words, a lovely, lovely post!

    Anna x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sweet! That's funny that they are nearly the same. I love that the full back of mine are elastic - it really keeps them in place well. That is too bizarre - how synchronous of us to both find pink trenchcoats at the same time!!

      I am excited/nervous about the shoes - I thought of you when I got them. I'll definitely need to test-drive these!

      Isn't it the best when another blogger has the same taste as you?

      Delete
  13. Shiela, I love your red, velvet dress! And you scored a Whiting and Davis snake bangle! I'm obsessed with them. I have a silver bangle one of them and a gold belt/necklace. One day, I'm hoping to find a gold snake bangle like yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jess! I didn't know the name Whiting & Davis at all - now I know what to look for! Good luck on your hunt!

      Delete
  14. Have you thought of wearing that Betsey Johnson velvet dress backwards ? Its could be an option.
    YOU GOT so many cool stuff at the fair Sheila, one of my fave is that blue hand bag!! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I would not wear it backwards - that trim detail is only on the front and I think it would look odd.

      I love the bag! I know you're going to love my new green one even more.

      Delete

Comments are so incredibly special, and I love them and hug them and treasure them forever. Please feel free to tell me what you think!

I'm not currently able to respond to comments, but I will make every effort to answer questions. I do read every single one, and appreciate your comments.

Please note that comments containing affiliate links spam-y sites, spam comments and anything I deem inappropriate will be deleted.

Cheers,
Sheila