Hello, I'm back! It's been a frantic week, and I'm anxious to just sit on the couch and chill out, so let's get this party started!
Here we are back at Thursday's outfit. I am doing triple duty with this outfit: wearing some of the last of my summer things, being super-visible, and looking put together when I know I'm going to be mentally exhausted.
This is my entry for "Visible Monday" over at Patti's Not Dead Yet Style - get yourself over there!
- Jacket - Jacob, thrifted; last seen here (4th outfit) in August
- Cashmere sweater - J. Crew, consignment; first worn here with striped Dries a few weeks ago
- Skirt - Vivienne Tam, consignment; last seen here with yellow and black in July
- Shoes - Miista; last worn here in May with jeans and shirt
|"I love the food you give me, but I resist your cuddles, Woman!"|
My company does an annual walk where every office around the world goes out on the same day for 30 minutes. It's quite the production and guess who runs it? Me!
I do theme walks, and I spend most of the walk shouting at my gaggle of 50+ people and jogging up and down the pack as I lead them around the streets of Victoria, and try to keep them out of traffic.
|"I'm just going to sit here."|
They have a good time, but it's a lot of work for me to be publicly "rah rah!" for an hour, and then go back to my usual busy work. I did need to be very visible on the walk, though, so the double yellow was a smart idea on my part. Go, me!
Lots of people commented on my brightness.
|"You give yourself far too much credit."|
After my regular work, I had WW. More emotional labour.
|"If you want to labour, you could open this door."|
I love what I do, but it takes a lot of out of me.
Following WW, I had Book Club - I didn't get home until after 10pm. And while Book Club isn't "work" like my jobs are, it's still being social.
|"I'm all the social you need."|
I find being social very tiring. I'm good at it, but I get burned out by it.
Note that, although all the pictures above include my new silicon bracelet, I ended up taking it off before I left the house. It didn't feel right with the outfit.
- Necklace earrings - Murano glass, Venice, Italy, birthday gift from L
- Bracelet - Lia Sophia, thrifted
- Amber ring - c. 1996
- Amethyst ring - Francis Jewelers, c. 1965, Dad's
One last hug from my bud Vizzini before I go!
Friday! Time for more socializing. This outfit prompted Fiona to crack, "You just don't do Casual Friday, do you?"
- Jacket - Smoking Lily; last worn here a couple of weeks ago with yellow and stripes
- Blouse - Karl Lagerfeld, thrifted; first worn here with pink in July
- Leather pants - Free People, Portland; last seen here with these same shoes in June
- Shoes - Seychelles; last worn here in July with long over long
I was even more visible this day! SHINY.
This is a fine example of "Clothing As Armour". I was very, very tired all day, and no one really noticed.
Here's last year's expedition and loot, and that post links back previous years if you're interested.
It just wasn't as good as those years: many of the usual vendors that I see at every vintage fair, stores selling their sale stock (not vintage) and booths selling items that were new/crafty or regular retail. I go to a Vintage Expo to see vintage!! Very disappointing.
However, it was a hoot to wander around in this outfit, especially with my fine gent. The theme of the expo was "Fly Me To the Moon" and we ran with it.
- Star Trek badge - MoPop gift shop, Seattle
- Amber ring - C. 1996
- Gold hoops - 5th anniversary gift from L
Compared to previous years, I did very poorly purchase-wise. Only this poor lonely 80s snake belt came home with me.
Nice details, like crystals for eyes.
Up bright and early on Saturday morning - I had to do some online training for WW - followed by lunch at Floyd's afterwards with L and Nick.
- Dress - D'Allairds, vintage 60s, thrifted; last worn here in August 2017 (look how short and bright my hair is!)
- Shoes - Truths Makena, Fluevog; last seen here (4th outfit) in August for shopping
- Jacket (below) - Lord & Taylor, thrifted; last worn here a week ago
I like to have a few pieces that are just simple and easy to wear. This falls under the Jammie Dress category.
The store moved a few years ago, and I just don't have the same luck there I used to. It isn't my style, and despite trying on a ton of stuff, nothing came home with me.
- Cage cuff - Bauxo
- Cuff/earrings - Fossil, gift from L
- Crystal ring - Soul Flower
- Shield ring - Nine West
I ended up in the one antique shop left on the street, Vanity Fair Antique Mall - it's filled with cases which are each owned by different people. It's a wonderful browse - so many interesting things. I usually look for jewelry, but I've also found a purse and a few clothing items there over the years.
I lucked out with these fabulous silver earrings. I know, you are thinking, "Too heavy!" but they are actually hollowed out, and are very light.
They also have a clip-on backing to keep your earlobe/piercing hole from getting stretched out.
I always love seeing a stamp! These are by Brenda Schoenfeld, from 1992, and are handmade in Taxco, Mexico. They are sterling silver, and were $40.00. Link here 'cause I love. I'm not sure what these would have sold for originally, but I feel like that was a good price.
And I wore them right away, to Winesday on Saturday night.
- Dress - Etro, thrifted; last seen here with shots of orange in July
- Cardigan (below) - Ports International, vintage, consignment; last seen here in August with a white shirt
- Coat (below) - Plum, thrifted; first worn here (4th outfit) for shopping in August
- Boots - Ishshoes Chatterbox, Fluevog; last seen here in May with the same cardigan
Giving that silicon bracelet another shot too!
|"You're going out AGAIN?"|
|"I'm going to yark up a hairball on your pillow for this, Woman."|
I added my long blue wool cardigan over the whole thing as I waited. It was perfect for a night of chilling with my gals.
|"Cab's here. Why don't you just GO?"|
- Silicon cuff - Materia Design
- Steel cuff - thrifted
- F#@! rings - Wendy Brandes
- Lapis lazuli ring - Wendy Brandes
- Earrings - Brenda Shoenfeld, 1992, antique mall
Everyone was much amused by the rings.
Oh, there are the earrings.
Today/Sunday, I was up early again to get groceries before Mom arrived to go for brunch.
- Blouse - White House|Black Market, consignment; last worn here in May with dots and leather
- Skirt - LA Hearts, thrifted; last seen here (2nd outfit) in August for an Ulti/brunch weekend
- Shoes - Prepare Guide, Fluevog; last worn here in July with a floofy underskirt
- Leather coat (below) - Danier Leather; last seen here in April
I haven't actually seen the original "A Doll's House" (summary here), but it wasn't required to enjoy this intriguing play. We both enjoyed it.
Pieces I wanted to get one more wear out of.
A coat because I am still a delicate flower.
- Obi - local, gift from L
- Green/brass bangle - thrifted
- Glass bangle - thrifted
- Turquoise ring - local
- Sparkly ring - consignment
- Earrings - Stella & Dot, consignment, Vancouver
- Necklace - Kiam Family, thrifted - first wearing; purchased here for $5.25.
While we were having brunch at the pub before the show, I noticed a shop in the corner with a big basket outside. I can smell a discount bin a mile away!
It's by Daniel Hechter, which I know was sold in Fairweather stores in Canada until they changed hands, then closed in the early 00s (I used to work there!).
It was only $10.00.
On a hunch, I checked the shoulder seams.
So, all this socializing and being out has Vizzini pretty grumpy with me.
|"I turn my back to you!"|
|"This post is more interesting than you."|
But after a few minutes of attention...
|"I guess I still like you..."|
Much roly-polying around. He got a little bitey.
When he does "Super Kitty" pose, I know he's feeling more charitable towards me.
|"It's a cat, it's a...cat! It's Super Kitty!"|
After some lovin' and attention, all is forgiven.
|"If you sit down, I will let you cuddle me."|
And with that fuzzy, needy face, my friends, I am going to do just that! I hope you all had a wonderful weekend!