Hello, my friends! I'm back following a wonderfully fun weekend. Look who I got to hang out with for three days!Shybiker! Ah! [Kermit hands] This is my entry for "Visible Monday" over at Patti's Not Dead Yet Style.
Ally and I have met before, at the 2015 International Vancouver 40+ Blogger Meet-Up, which I wrote about here, and clicked really well then. We have known each other through blogging for almost our entire blog careers, nearly 10 years.
Ally came out to Victoria, BC, Canada, to see me and another blog-friend of hers, Dar. It's a bit of an effort to get here: not only is Victoria on the opposite coast to New York, where Ally's from, but it's on a freakin' island. I was understandably excited to be hosting Ally here, and of course, one of my big concerns was, "What will I wear??"
- Leather vest - CABi, consignment; last seen here in September 2015 (yes, you read that right!) over lace
- Sweater - Jean-Paul Gaultier, consignment; last worn here (5th outfit) in March with long leather for Winesday
- Jeans - Levi Strauss Commuter, thrifted; last seen here (2nd outfit) in February for my office move
- Boots - Matisse, consignment; last worn here in February with a red dress and 6 pockets
- Leather trenchcoat (below) - vintage 70s, thrifted; last seen here a couple of weeks ago
I didn't want to look too "fashion-y" or be intimidating (although Dar's been reading my blog for a little while). I can be...overwhelming...in person.
As noted, it rained off and on all day, so layers were needed. My sweater is fine, but warm.
My best rain coat is my leather trench.
- Hat - Edward Mann, vintage, thrifted
- Scarf - Smoking Lily, 1997, gift from Janet
- Wool gloves - Parkhurst
- Earrings - Plum
- Amber ring - c. 1996
- Crystal ring - Uffizi Gallery gift shop, Florence, Italy
I got up early and walked to Ally's hotel. It was my first time over the new Johnson Street Bridge.
I liked the nice wide walkways. This shelter below is for waiting in when the bridge is up.
Always know where you're going.
On the other side, there is still a little remnant of the original train tracks.
Ally and I went for lunch at John's Place, an old Victoria restaurant, then we walked all over town, including up to Beacon Hill Park, where we were captivated (along with a few other tourists) by some peacocks.
The females (peahens) are a muddy white colour.
We were surprised to see one way up in that tree.
From Beacon Hill, we walked down to Dallas Road. That's Port Angeles, Washington, in the distance.
We were here!
We walked back to town from there, and met up with Dar for lunch at the Tapas Bar (our original choice, Pagliacci's, was closed for renovations). After a lovely lunch and spirited conversation, Dar drove us over to My Sister's Closet for a peek around. I may have bought something...
It's a wonderful Tangerine Jill piece.
From there, we drove over to House of Savoy. Ally found a purple striped shirt and a chartreusey-yellow patterned Ted Baker tie. I dug around on the sale racks and in the half price shoe bins.
The label hasn't even been removed from the sole. I bet they've been worn maybe once.
I also found this really interesting blue blazer.
KL by Karl Lagerfeld.
here (my label resource is the Vintage Fashion Guild, a wonderful site for digging up info on thrifted designer items, here).
KL on the buttons too.
From our shopping adventures, we all went back to my house, where Dar and Ally got to see the infamous stairs of my stair pose (a trip highlight, for Ally, ha!), my closet and Vizzini.
Ally, L and I went for dinner at our local pub, the Fernwood Inn, and then the three of us hung out at our place, drank scotch and listened to music until I started nodding off and called Ally a cab to go back to her hotel.
Another early morning on Saturday! It was somewhat brighter and less rainy so I risked a lighter outfit.
- Cardigan - Kenzo, consignment; purchased here for $26.98
- Blouse - Sanctuary, thrifted; purchased here for $5.95
- Pants - Tara Jarmon, consignment; last seen here in July 2017 with a Hawaiian shirt
- Shoes - Truths Makena, Fluevog; last worn here (4th outfit) in March for brunch
- Sleeveless coat (below) - Only, thrifted; last seen here in March
I wore Ally out on Friday - too much walking! It quickly went from 5 miles to about a hundred miles in her descriptions, lol. Yes, I walk a lot! Anyway, Saturday was the "tourist day" where we did all the best touristy things. Victoria is a tourist town (it's the main industry here), but it helps to know which things the locals recommend. We walked by the Legislature building (aka the Parliament Buildings), where I took a group shot for some tourists on the steps, then onto the Royal BC Museum. I've been going there since I was a kid - my first job was volunteering in the gift shop before it was "Royal".
Longer in front.
All zipped up.
The new-to-me top solo.
I do like how the underneath part shows through the top layer and creates another level of pattern.
For outerwear, I layered my sleeveless coat over the whole shebang.
- Leather gloves - Danier Leather
- Shield ring - Nine West
- Death Star ring - Soul Flower
- Earrings - thrifted
I'm glad that so much was in bloom while Ally was here, despite the rainy and grey weather.
And orange and pink and yellow tulips at the Empress.
Ally and I both took Saturday night off (even good friends can use time off from each other), but met up again on Sunday for brunch with L - of course, we had to go to Floyd's Diner! It's tradition!
- Shirt - Dept, consignment; last seen here in January for a mall shop with Elaine
- Skirt - Mackage, thrifted; last worn here (2nd outfit) in October 2017 for a Saturday brunch
- Boots - 1883 Lucchesse, consignment; last seen here (4th outfit)last weekend for shopping
- Leather coat (below) - Danier Leather; last worn here on Thursday
Easy walking stuff again, plus I planned to take us to a couple of thrift stores, so easy off/on things for trying on clothes.
|"You can't leave. We haven't had sufficient cuddle time."|
Outerwear - the rain held off for the day, fortunately. We browsed in the Patch and the WIN Store, then went for tea and macarons at Fol Epi Bakery, and chatted the afternoon away.
- Gloves - Parkhurst
- Earrings - vintage furniture store
- Ring - local
Ally found a couple of things at WIN and I lucked out on these fun suede and rubber runners.
I love the fun look of them.
They are hugely comfortable.
You might have noticed that I actually didn't take a lot of pictures, and if you've visited Ally's posts about her trip (here and here, so far), neither did she. Both of us really wanted to enjoy our time together and not get wrapped up in recording the entire thing.
Vizzini also sends hugs.
|"My love is like this cloth bag that smells like the Woman, that I rake when I want attention."|
|"There may have been some interaction."|
|"I rake this bag, I -- wait, must lick my toes."|