Monday, March 25, 2019

Bigass Anniversary Weekend Wrap-Up: Vancouver Trip and Shopping

Hello, my friends! I'm back, after a whirlwind of a weekend celebrating our 22nd wedding anniversary with my sweetie, L.
Still fuzzy after all these years, ha ha! Thanks and lots of love to my partner in everything. You rock, baby.

We go to Vancouver every year for our anniversary, and visit with friends and do some shopping - we've been doing this for about 15 years. All links below are 'cause I love - no hidden agenda here, folks.
"I was not consulted about this." 

Vizzini always knows that when we get out our backpacks that we are leaving him. He had "Vizz-its" from Cat and Ross while we were gone - thanks for taking care of our little monster.

I love this picture, taken by Melanie of A Bag and a Beret - she's been part of our trip for the last 6 years (we first met here, in 2013). Here's a recap of last year's trip, if you are interested, and this post here (from our 20th anniversary) has some pictures of our wedding in 1997.
This is my entry for "Visible Monday" over at Patti's Not Dead Yet Style - random strangers complimented us all weekend on our style. It's nice to be acknowledged for standing out in a sea of athleisure wear and beige.

But let's back this up a bit. Here's what I wore during the day on Friday...and Saturday...and Sunday.
I travel very lightly! I swapped out my camisole/t-shirt under this sweater each day (and changed my underwear, don't worry!).


  • Blazer - Vivienne Westwood Red Label, thrifted; last seen here in November 2018 with sparkle leopard
  • Sweater - Jay Jays, thrifted; last worn here in February with my Muppet skirt
  • Skirt - Talbots, thrifted; last seen here (2nd outfit) in January for weekend shopping
  • Shoes - Truths Makena, Fluevog; last worn here in January with slouchy chartreuse


On Friday, it was really sunny and warm, and I worried that this sweater would be too hot for the rest of the weekend, but it cooled off quite a bit on Saturday and Sunday, and it ended up being just right.
Knowing I'd be doing a lot of shopping, I picked clothes I could remove easily.

I also wanted to look snazzy! That's always a requirement.
My tights got a lot of love - they are starting to pop holes in them, and although they are not quite on their last legs, it's close. I've gotten a lot of wear out of them, though - not bad for $1.99 thrifted!

The blazer was for extra warmth if needed.
"I do not permit you to leave, Woman!"

I had to give Vizzini some cuddles before I left.

He had ulterior motives! 
"This fur pin needs a good licking."

I did not cuddle him for long. The fur pin survived.

Kitted up for colder weather. I ended up not needing the beret at all.
The fur boa was looped through my purse handles, and floated along behind me most of the time.


  • Cashmere beret - Club Monaco, thrifted
  • Fur boa - thrifted
  • Leather gloves - consignment
  • Purse - Aldo


The stuff:
I wore these shoes all weekend, too - my feet were very tired after all the walking we did!


  • Fur pin - Catawumpus
  • Earrings - c. 1996
  • Fulvia Ring - Wendy Brandes


L had to give Vizzini some love before we left.
L's jacket is from Sherry's London in Carnaby Street, purchased in London in 2010 (here). He wore it all weekend, as well - we're both very minimal packers.

Aw, look at my guys.
That's our wedding picture in the background on the right.

We got up early for our 9:30 am flight to Vancouver.
There's our seaplane, moored at the docks.

The good folks of Harbour Air were able to get us on the 9 am flight instead, so off we went!
Another plane landing as we taxied out of the harbour.

Looking back at Victoria from the outer harbour.
It's a busy place.

Looking south to the San Juan Islands in the USA - in the far distance is Washington State.
The seaplanes are teeny and only hold about 10 people - that's the wing in the pictures.

Looking down at one of the populated islands.
I would totally live there.

It's only 35 minutes to fly from Victoria harbour to Vancouver harbour - it's worth the expense for the time saved.
Going by ferry takes nearly 5 hours, sometimes more.

And we're in Vancouver!
There's Canada Place, and the seaplane docks.

We were in our hotel by 10 am.
We were way up on the 29th floor.

We got slightly lost trying to find Medina Cafe (link).
What vibrant orange figure is that I spy in the distance? It's Melanie!!

We had quite a bit of time before they could seat us, so we wandered over to a swanky office building lobby, had coffee and took pictures of ourselves.
"Darling! How have you been?"
"Fabulous, sweets! And you?"

Now, be serious.
Such Klassy Chicks!

We need to have a talk show.
Melanie and Sheila Talk Sh*t. It'll be a hit! Get us an agent, stat!

Being silly.
That means sprawling inappropriately, obviously. I love that we have nearly identical sprawls. Totally not planned.

Melanie took one of each of us.
 L is always "too cool for school."

I can barely stay on my chair.
That seems about right.

It was a really beautiful lobby - the gent on the piano played a bunch of Beatles' tunes.
We cheered when he did Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper"!

Medina was amazing, especially the waffle with salted caramel. Nom nom.
Our lovely server Charlotte insisted we take a box of matches.

Mel came with us to My Sister's Closet (a thrift store, not related to the consignment store of the same name in Victoria), but neither of us had any luck there. She departed - busy! - and L and I strolled down to the Fluevog in Gastown. Our regular Fluevogologist, Wes, was there.
We missed him last year, as he was traveling. He's been our guy for at least 8 years - here's the first time we went to this store (when it was new!) in 2011.

L is purchasing my new Fluevogs as my anniversary gift in that picture.
These are the Super Fine Cardinal (link here). SHINY.

They feel wonderful on - I am thrilled.
I tried on a few different pairs, but I'd been pre-scouting online and knew I wanted these.

"Super fine - Yes indeed you are!"
That's a really comfy heel - great for walking and standing.

I bought L these - he's been wanting them for ages, and they never go on sale.
They're called the Rufus Magoo Cavalier.

Pretty swanky, just like my guy!
They say "Gospel cords flow through life. Reach out & grab them."
We both have quite the collection of Fluevogs now.

On Friday night, we met up with our Vancouver friend Craig for dinner. Saturday morning, we hopped a cab out to the Mt. Pleasant area of Main Street for breakfast at El Camino's (link).
Their food is so good - we keep wanting to try new places, but the food pulls us back every year!

Our friends Kim and Spence, and their awesome kids Rosie and El.
Rosie (the younger) is a budding clothing designer - Kim showed us some of her homemade Barbie clothes. They were amazing for such a young kid.

El (in red) is a wonderful artist - her drawings are incredible.
Love seeing you guys!

From there, we had our map of vintage and consignment places to check out up and down Main St. Here are all of L's purchases.

He did really well at Front & Co. (link), with this yellow summer shirt.
The bright yellow will be good in his wardrobe.

Love that vintage pattern.
Pin-up girls!

He also found this Maison Scotch sample shirt.
We'd found him a pair of brick-red trousers at Banana Republic on deep discount on Friday afternoon - this shirt matched them perfectly.

More fun patterns.
I see an eagle, a tiger and a monkey!

I can't remember the name of the shop, but he also found this lovely tie.
He wears a suit and tie every day for work, and has a very big collection of ties.

It's by Duchamp London.
Made in England. It was $30 - their ties retail around $165 Canadian.

Vizzini investigating our purchases when we got home.
"You bought me a present! Kitty spaghetti - my favourite!"

Naughty kitty - it was a pair of Stacey Adams shoes that L spotted in another vintage store. I managed to keep the shoelaces (aka "kitty spaghetti") away from Vizzini.
L will look great in these.
They're a good summer shoe.

Hardly any wear at all!
I think these were around $50.00.

I checked out the Main Exchange (link).
I fell in love with this bright orange pleated polka dot skirt.

New with tags! It was $34.99.
It's by Compania Fantastica.

I found these amazing pink satin trousers at the Front & Co. pop-up shop - this is where I bought my bronze leather Burberry jacket last year, but I was trying not to get my hopes up!
They were creased and a bit dirty on the cuffs, but are very high-waisted with wide swooshy legs. And pockets!

Only $28.00 and they look great on.
They are by H&M and were originally $60.00 new. I tossed them in the wash when I got home (with pale pink pants, it's crucial that I be able to wash them) and they came out beautifully.

I also bought these light blue plastic hoops, locally made.
They were $18.95.

At the regular Front & Co. store, I came away with this nylon bomber jacket. I love the daisy print.
Pockets!

It's by Stella McCartney for Adidas.
It was 20% off that $58.00 - so $46.40. It originally sold for $185.00 and was from her Spring/Summer 2014 collection.

I loved this made in India cropped pink/brick top.
It does a faux wrap at the front, and the sleeves are a square shape and drape nicely.

It's by Sisstrevolution.
It was $32.95.

At Fab Finds (link), I fell hard for this wool-blend moto jacket. Guess why?
Because it's PANK!

It's by the Gap and was from their Holiday 2013 collection (shipped to stores in July 2013).
It retailed for $195.00 but it was only $22.49 (extra 10% off the marked price of $24.99).

I also bought these gorgeous blue satin slides there.
They were $28.99 - retailed for $55.00.

They were in great condition.
I am not huge on the mule style - I hate that "slap slap" when you walk as they hit the heel - but as these come up really high on the vamp, they are more secure for walking.

These are also half a size smaller than I'd normally wear, which will keep them on my feet better.
Barely any wear. Love that.

We always stop in at Turnabout (link) - and now they have a store in Victoria on Oak Bay Avenue (link)! Uh-oh! Danger, danger! I sense a shopping trip!
These suede loafers are by Marc Fisher, and were so comfy. They were $28.79.
I love the studded design on the toes and the heels. The coral colour is much richer in person.

I was a bit disappointed in the selection of clothing overall - too much Aritzia stuff and not enough designer. It's Vancouver - I want stuff I can't find at home.
I did luck out on this beautiful Ted Baker pencil skirt.

It was $47.99.
New with tags - original retail was $219.00. Turnabout starts with the highest price, then as it remains unsold, the price starts to drop. As I purchased after 3/12/19, I got the first "step down" price. I like this method for moving through stock. The Patch should do this!

Check out the lovely pattern on the back.
So pretty!

I had to check the jewelry case, and good thing I did, as I found this set of sterling silver earrings and pendant for only $8.00 each.
They started at $25.99 each.

They are by M&M
I like the pebbly texture.

These were gifts bought for me by L, as an extra anniversary present. I was gobsmacked! These were marked down to the lowest amounts shown on the tickets, so $137.99 each. Wow, thank you, L! I love them!
They are both by Ambush Design (link), from the "Holy Mountain" collection from 2012. This is a Tokyo-based company featuring designers Verbal and Yoon (jewelry designer as of April 2018 for Dior Men, source).

The necklace is heavy (it's gold-plated sterling silver), with leather accent, and logo stamp.
The claw cuff is also heavy (also gold-plated sterling silver), and you can play with the claws' positions.
Stamped and mounted on leather.

We cabbed back home after nearly 5 hours of shopping, and had a nap, before getting dressed for a swanky dinner at Hawksworth Restaurant (link).
I was so certain I was going to get those gold shoes, that I brought gold accessories with me from home. I only ended up wearing the earrings, though, as I wanted to wear the Ambush set right away.


  • Dress - Part Two; last seen here (3rd outfit) in December 2018 for a party at Terry's and at Nick and Karen's
  • Shoes - Super Fine Cardinal, Fluevog; first wearing - purchased right up there the day before
  • Jacket - Gap, consignment; first wearing - purchased above that afternoon


L took my pictures in the hotel room. Crap lighting.
This dress took up barely any room in my backpack, and doesn't wrinkle. That makes for a fabulous travel dress. 

How could I not wear my new PANK jacket??
With all pink accessories too! 

  • Fur boa - thrifted
  • Leather gloves - consignment


The stuff: 
We walked both ways to/from the restaurant, and although my feet were tired from shopping all day, these shoes were magnificent.

Clawed bling:
I really liked wearing the cuff and pendant. Rar! Scary! Totally badass.


  • Cuff/necklace - Ambush Design, consignment; first wearing, purchased above 
  • Earrings - thrifted
  • Bag - Aldo


While I was getting ready, L tried to take a selfie.
*Snort* It's not as easy as it looks, is it, love? Hee hee!

On Sunday morning, we were up early to catch our seaplane home - we made an earlier flight again, and even had the exact same pilot/plane.
 She was an excellent pilot - we had a smooth flight all the way home.

Saying goodbye to Vancouver...
 Another slightly overcast spring day on the west coast.

Looking north, towards Whistler, up the coast of BC.
 Everything here is so spread out.

And only 30 minutes later, there's Victoria.
 I can nearly see our house from there!

We went straight for breakfast at the Ruby, then home to our little kitty. We were in the door by 10:30 am.
Thanks again to Cat and Ross for taking care of our little guy.

He happily inspected all of our purchases.
"I approve of my new cat-bed."

We hung out with him all evening and gave him lots of love.

I'll leave you with this awesome sign I saw in a car window.
Cat Hair is the New Black. It totally is!

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend! Thank you so much for visiting - what was your favourite purchase of all my goodies?

30 comments:

  1. So much here that is outstanding — it is hard to find a place to start. I guess I will start with L’s very cool striped blazer. And then of course I must proceed to the lavender skirt and metallic silver sweater. The floral tights are amazing. Maybe try some clear nail polish on the parts of them that are starting to unravel.
    I especially love the aerial views that you took. It is so fascinating to see the earth below us and puts us - and our daily musings, in a great perspective.
    The photos of you and Melanie are so expressive. Yes indeed you are two Klassy ladies!
    I am so glad that Vinzzini was cared for properly.
    Five hours of shopping is indeed an admirable marathon. I haven’t done that in years. But I applaud you and I’m slightly envious as I type out these little words.
    What is life after all without the punctuation mark of a pink feather Boa?
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Elle
    https://theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elle, thank you for the big comment (I do love a big comment). Thank you for all your compliments. The tights actually have giant gaping holes near the waist - not fixable with nail polish or anything else, unfortunately. I do know that trick!

      I enjoy the flights - it helps me appreciate the beauty of our part of the world.

      I don't drag L along too often on these marathon shops, but he had a book, so he was happy.

      Oh yes, the boa was my exclamation point!

      Delete
  2. Wow - you guys have a great time together, and add in Mel, and Vancouver, and SHOPPING! L's new shirts are fab and your Ambush jewelry is amazing. Happy anniversary to one of the happiest couples I know, xox.

    Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love catching up with Mel. Aw, thank you, Patti! We are still happy after all these years - and believe me, we both appreciate that.

      Delete
  3. You guys, what an amazing trip! I'm always delighted to be included in your plans. You certainly kept up the momentum after brunch, but that was a no-brainer because you always do. Your shoes!!!! OMG! Those are my favourite shoes. I should go down to the store just to ogle them a while. Glittery gold. Sigh. You both did super well in your shopping. I love what you wore to Hawksworth. And a pank jacket? Too good. It looked great with that outfit. See you next time - or maybe some day I can get myself over to your neighbourhood. Cheers for another great year together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! We love seeing you, Mel! I knew you'd love the shoes - those square toes are so you.

      Yes! You need to come over here some time!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing your anniversary/shopping trip with us. You and L are a great couple together, and I am jealous that your man likes to shop with you. What a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Gerrilyn! L took a book with him, and sat and read while I shopped, most of the time. It really helps him make it through my massive shopping.

      Delete
  5. Happy Anniversary, you fabulous pair!
    I loved this post, I followed the link to your wedding photos (your Mum's beautiful wedding dress!) and shopped with you around London - great stuff!
    You, Melanie and L all look like rock stars, no wonder everyone was in awe of you.
    Beatles? Nah! Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper"...tune!!!
    I loved that you were prepared for your anniversary shoes by packing that amazing gold jewellery in readiness.
    Love all those amazing finds of yours and can't wait to see you in all of them.
    Cat hair Is the new black!
    Big love to Vizzini! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Vix! Aw, glad you checked those posts out - I didn't go into much detail on my London trip back then, but I remember it all so well.

      BOC is L's favourite band, so of course we had to cheer!

      I knew those would be coming home with me, unless they were just No Good.

      Thanks so much - excited to make outfits out of all my new things.

      Vizzini was so happy to see us - thank you!

      Delete
  6. Happy anniversary!
    What a shopping trip you had!
    The gold shoes are so fabulously "you'! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess - I know, right? Can't wait to wear them in a regular outfit.

      Delete
  7. Your anniversary trip sounds fabulous, Sheila. Happy Anniversary, you two! You're such a stylish and funky couple. Those gold shoes are absolutely divine and I love the fierce pendant and bracelet L. gave you. And now we both have PANK jackets, yay! Cat hair is the new black? Definitely, I'm in! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ann! We make a good pair. :)

      We are PANK matchy? Sweet! Ha ha, I knew the cat-lovers would appreciate that.

      Delete
  8. Happy anniversary! My beau and I have been together 21 years in May...

    I loved your weekend outfit especially with the pink scarf, gloves etc. You certainly have the art of travelling light down to a fine art! Both you and L look so stylish and funky together. Here's to 22 more years together!

    You and Mel look great and yes the idea of a chat show is a fabulous one; I bet it would be hilarious! Mel looks wonderful as always.

    You bought so much brilliant stuff...I loved your Cardinal shoes and I can see why they are so called. They remind me of the shoes you seen worn in medieval paintings. The Ted Baker skirt; the pink Moto jacket and the orange spotted skirt are my favourites of your purchases and didn't L do well!

    Hope you have a lovely week.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Vronni! Congrats to you and your beau (I love that term).

      Thanks - I like traveling light, even though I also love having a big wardrobe. L is the same, and we make a good couple that way.

      I would watch that chat show too!

      Yes, you're totally right - I was thinking about why they were called that, and that totally makes sense. Happy week to you, my dear!

      Delete
  9. Belated Congratulations on your anniversary and thank you for sharing your spectacular weekend! L has great taste in jewelry and sweethearts. I love both skirts and fuschia anything. Looking forward to celebrating our 43rd this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chalotalo! I love recording this for myself and it's fun sharing it. Aw! Congrats right back to you!

      Delete
  10. Wow, wow, wow! You and L had such a great trip. what finds you made on your shopping trip! Thanks for sharing all of this. We, your readers, get a good bump of vicarious pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love sharing my adventures with L! Thank you so much for reading, Linda!

      Delete
  11. Happy anniversary you lovelies! So very jealous of you guys meeting up with the mulitcoloured Mel!!!! One day, I'm gonna crash that party. Love your glittery shoes, love L's new summer shoes too, but also what about that PANK jacket? And the orange spotty skirt and those gorgeous blue satin slides!!! Oh what fun you've had. Good luck with your big clothes changeover which must be coming up soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anna! I wish our world was physically closer, arg! I know, I LOVE the PANK jacket! I'm wearing it again today, I love it so much. Yes, the changeover is this Sunday! Good times.

      Delete
  12. wowwww, lots of fabulousness to comment!!, your pictures with Mel have put a smile on my face for the whole week!! and those shoes!!. I'm totally in love with your PANK jacket and the gorgeous outfit you wore for dinner!, the Ambush set is something totally stunning and your new shoes rock!! Fabulous accessorizing!
    Glad that you enjoyed your fab trip!!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she great? I am always in awe when I'm with her. Thank you so much! It's a winning combination! Thanks, Monica!

      Delete
  13. Awwwwww :) Happy anniversary my dear Sheila! It looks like you celebrated well and had a blast.
    The flower print tights are such a statement piece, you purchased some cool items as usual, my fave being the pink trousers, they HAVE to fit well for you to buy them because you are not a pant lady, that I know. Just the other day i came across a StellaMCartney piece for Adidas at 20.00 USD and thought it was too expensive... you know me and my 1.07 USD pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, hon, we had a lovely time. I love the trousers too, and I think they will look fabulous. Ha, you are such a bargain hunter! I love it!

      Delete
  14. Happy Anniversary!!! How lovely to spend your anniversary away! You look lovely by the way! I love your outfits. You saw MELANIE! I am jealous!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kezzie! We have been doing this for 15 years, I think! Thanks, Mel is awesome.

      Delete
  15. Looks like you had a stellar Anniversary celebratory weekend. You both are oozing with style, as per usual, and it's great you were able to hang out with Mel for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome! Thanks! Looking forward to hopefully getting to hang out with YOU! :)

      Delete

Comments are so incredibly special, and I love them and hug them and treasure them forever. Please feel free to tell me what you think!

I'm not currently able to respond to comments, but I will make every effort to answer questions. I do read every single one, and appreciate your comments.

Please note that comments containing affiliate links spam-y sites, spam comments and anything I deem inappropriate will be deleted.

Cheers,
Sheila