This is my Friday look - actual Canada Day. I'm not a fan of big crowds or other "fest"-y events, so we always avoid all the downtown celebrations - but we do watch the fireworks in the evening through the trees.
We had a lovely warm day - rock on, summer! About time you got here.
I love this swanky high-end designer dress. It's 100% silk, including the lining.
Your eyes do not deceive you - it's two different "reverse" patterns, mirrored side to side, sleeve to sleeve, etc.
Masked up - the carriage houses were open (although the tea room was not), so we had a look through the costume displays, which were really cool.
- Purse - Danier Leather, thrifted
- Mask - by Mom
- Silver/enamel cuff - thrifted
- Leather/steel cuff - Rimanchik
- Crystal heart - found
- Lapis lazuli ring - Wendy Brandes
- Silver/enamel ring - antique shop, Sidney
- Earrings - local
L took a few photos with his phone while we were wandering around the gardens at Government House.
The view looking south through the Garry Oak meadow.
On Saturday, we had enough people for a game of Ulti - it's been weeks since we've played, so we were moaning and groaning. It was a short game (Andrew got a foot injury), so L and I headed home and got ready to meet up with our dear Family We Choose for a long weekend chill-out at Lure Patio at the Delta Hotel downtown.
He was very yowly and grumpy with us when we got home.
I only buttoned it up for this picture.
- Scarf - Alexander McQueen, consignment, Vancouver
- Mask - by Mom
- Belt - Renoir, vintage 50s, vintage fair
- Chain-link bracelet - Renoir, vintage 50s, thrifted
- Feather bracelet - thrifted
- Squash blossom bracelet - Bell Trading Post, consignment, Powell River
- Enamel/copper cuff - Matisse by Renoir, vintage 50s, vintage fair
- Brooch - Bell Trading Post, thrifted
- Enamel/copper ring - vintage, consignment
- Copper/ball ring - vintage, consignment
- Shiny copper ring - Glee, local
- Copper/turquoise small ring - vintage, Grandma J's
- Copper/enamel earrings - Matisse for Renoir, vintage 50s, Grandma J's
When I was first in university in 1985, I used to stop off at my Grandma J's (my Dad's mother) apartment and visit with her for a couple of hours once a week. Every so often, she would pull out her jewelry and a couple of times she actually gave me some pieces, including a gorgeous Renoir solid copper cuff, and an earrings/ necklace set in unmarked copper. I wore them (and continue to wear them) for years.
Moving along! L and I took a cab to Lure - I took a pic of his awesome outfit while we waited outside.
The view behind me.
We walked over the Johnson Street bridge.
Casey and L, deep in conversation.
I slept in a bit on Sunday, then got ready for Book Club.
I walked to town, then walked back over the bridge, then followed the Songhees Walkway to Spinnaker's Brewpub to meet up with the Book Club gals.
Womp-womp - I hate the back.
This is how most people saw me, all geared up for the rain.
- Hat - Zara, consignment
- Scarf - Fluevog
- Gloves - Danier Leather
- Earrings - Tania Gleave, Granville Island
- Silver/enamel ring - antique store, Sidney
- Silver/amethyst ring - vintage mall
- Leather cuff (top) - Rimanchik, thrifted; purchased here for $4.95
- Leather/steel cuff (lower) - Rimanchik
On the way to Book Club, I stopped in at Flavour Upstairs since I had the time and hadn't been there in a while.
This scarf was tied around the neck of a mannequin - I always look at displays! - and I noted the bright green and handrolled edges. It felt like silk, so I pulled it (gently) off the display to see if it had a label or a signature.
Oh my gosh. Yves Saint Laurent! I am sure this is from the 1970s.
On my way home, I popped into Vintage After Death to see if there was anything interesting. I found this leather dress in the clearance section.
Big dolman sleeves.
It has this damage right on the front chest.
I found Velcro strips inside the shoulders.
It's by Originaux par Pablo (Original by Pablo) and marked Montreal, Canada. The sizing is pre-Great Size Shift of c. 1987, and this fits more like a modern size 8, so it's from the mid- to late-80s.
I also snapped up these fun earrings.
Ah, there we go...and now I'm off to spend my last weekend hours with L and Vizzini. I hope you all had a wonderful weekend!