Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Two-Fer: Zoom-Day Mermaid Flashback; Jungle Pink and Jogger Flashback

Hello, my friends! We have a two-fer today: two fer the price of one! 

I made an effort and got dressed on Tuesday, instead of lounging around in my house-clothes. Why? I had not one, not two, but THREE Zoom calls scheduled! 
I have a reputation to uphold! I'd better build an outfit! 

  • Blouse - Urban Outfitters, consignment; first worn here in July 2020 with Gaultier Jean's
  • Sweater - Bleu Gray, thrifted; last seen here in August 2020 with an optic cardigan
  • Mermaid skirt - no label, vintage 70s, thrifted; last worn here in December 2019 with a red pleated blouse
  • Boots - Mini Babycakes, Fluevog; last seen here in October 2020 with leopard (and Flashbacked there)

I spent some solid mental health time playing in my closet in the morning. That quiet Zen-like calm that I get from thrift shopping also applies to my closet time. I must do it more! 
I always wear this skirt with red, but this is the first time I've tried pattern-mixing with it. 

I quite liked how the high-waisted lumberjack plaid shirt went with the high 70s waist on this amazing mermaid skirt. 
Isn't it fabulous? I have had it for a few years, and we'll have a wee Flashback on it shortly. 
I adore the mermaid shape on me - I always feel good in this! 

Hmmm, I wonder who I'll be Zooming with? 
Can you tell I'm feeling fabulous? 
I left this on until L got home from work, just so he could see my magnificence. He was suitably impressed.

The stuff: 
The skirt is that perfect maxi length that requires a slight heel. These rubber-bottomed boots were comfy for wearing around the house, and weren't loud for my downstairs neighbour. 

Brass bling: 
I searched through my jewelry boxes and bags for a necklace to wear with this, and then remembered this one that I store in my closet hanging high above the doorway, due to a kitten who likes to go after feathers. 

  • Necklace - All Saints, gift from Dominique
  • Raven cuff - Jezebel Charms, gift from L
  • Brass/leather cuff - vintage 70s, Mom's
  • Klimt ring - consignment
  • Brutalist ring - vintage 70s, vintage mall

Oops, missed my earrings! 
These are from Aldo Accessories, and I've had them for about 10 years. 

When I went outside to do my stair picture, Vizzini most vehemently wanted out. 
"Open up, Woman!"

No, bud, you have to stay inside. 

I Zoomed with Mom first. We had a lovely chat.
We both wore red! 

Vizzini came for a visit. 
"Is the Lady in your computer?"

He hasn't figured out the camera. 

After that, I had a call with Ally (of Shybiker) and my dear friend Elaine. You might remember that we three all met up in Hamilton, Ontario back here in July 2019. Unfortunately, we got cut off before I could capture us onscreen! 
"At least they got to see me, the Very Important Cat."

Vizzini is very helpful. 

And after that, I connected with Shelley of Forest City Fashionista - we've also met in person before, here in June 2019, when I popped over to the mainland to spend the day with her and Melanie. 
Must show all the teeth. Both of our cats were sleeping by then, but it was so good to see her again!

It was fabulous to catch up with everyone! Thanks so much for your time, my dear friends!


Flashback: Vintage 70s Mermaid Skirt

I bought the skirt here in January 2019, on one of my regular weekend trawlings of the big WIN store downtown. It was in their vintage section and it leapt out at me. 
As if you could miss it! It's a thick knitted wool blend, made of panels of a couple of fabrics sewn together. 
That is more of a tan colour than it reads onscreen.

These are the only tags in it. Made in Italy (vintage size 12/modern size 8). 
But it's exceptionally nice quality - it has a metal hanging chain, something you don't see very often. 
It was half off the tag price, so it was all of $9.00. 

I wore it to work right away with my L'Wren Scott blouse (due for a wear).
I miss that belt so much - it snapped and broke when I unpacked it last year. Shoe Flashback here.

I wore it for a weekend Family Day hangout in February 2019.
Same boots as today (Flashback here), same belt as above. 

This is the above outfit again, but I had to include this picture as I always wear this red coat over the skirt - they look so good together. 
"Damn straight."

Plus this pic has L and Vizzini in it, so it's automatically 100% better, right? 

And this is the last time I wore the skirt, in December 2019, again with the same red blouse. 
I added a red snakeskin belt there, and I'm wearing the same brown Fluevog boots. 


Mathy stuff: Today makes the 4th time I've worn this skirt, bringing me to $2.25 per wear, but seeing these few looks makes me realize I need to push myself from all this red and brown. I need some more ideas on what to wear with this skirt! Any thoughts?


I planned my outfit for Wednesday to be appropriately funky/colourful and representative of Me, as I had an appointment with our new hairdresser, Kelsey. I don't want her thinking I'm one of those "normal" people, right?
I'm my own normal! However, she had to reschedule, so my hair gets to grow for 3 more weeks. It's getting long.  

  • Jacket - Zara, consignment; purchased here for $30.00
  • Blouse - Talbots, thrifted; last seen here in December 2020 with leather pants and floral embroidery
  • Joggers - Lady Dutch, thrifted; last worn here (3rd outfit) for Nick's birthday in the park in August 2020
  • Shoes - Arnold Churgin, thrifted; last seen here in January with a plethora of pink and purple
  • Coat (below) - Auckie Sanft, vintage 60s, vintage fair; last worn here in November 2020

I built this outfit around this new-to-me jungle print blazer. 
I paired it with the olive green joggers first, as I hadn't worn them yet this season, and liked the mix of professional and casual.

However, finding a top took a little longer. 
The dominant colours in the blazer are olive green, baby blue, pink and white. 
Most of my baby blue is in my spring/summer wardrobe, and white is so boring - so thank goodness for pink! 

I liked how well these all worked together - so harmonious. 
Masked up - I tried a bunch of different patterns before I landed on leopard.
It acts as a neutral against all this colour and picks up the flecks of brown in the blazer. 

Outerwear - of course, I had to wear more pink! 
Don't you know me? 
Pink it up! 

Outerwear stuff: 
All this pink makes me so happy. Would you believe I used to loathe pink? I've only come around in the past 10 years or so. 

  • Fur boa - thrifted
  • Gloves - consignment
  • Mask - Lazy Susan's

The stuff: 
Why not go really bold with some Barbie pink? I love the classic vintage look of these. 

Pearl bling: 
I picked up on the two pearl buttons on the blazer's cuffs for my jewelry theme. 

  • Earrings - thrifted
  • Bracelet - thrifted
  • Silver/smoky topaz ring - Anneli Neuman, Sweden, vintage mall
  • Jade/brass ring - vintage 70s, Mom's


Flashback: Lady Dutch Olive Green Satin Joggers

Although I haven't had these satin joggers for very long, I have worn them a fair bit - enough to warrant a Flashback! I bought them here in March 2019 on one of my now-infrequent weekend shopping expeditions at the big WIN (Women In Need) store downtown. I liked the neutral grey-ish-olive shade, and the dull/matte panel down the sides - a nice detail. 
Totally not my style, WAY out of my comfort zone - I noted at the time that these would be a challenge to me. 

They're by Lady Dutch, and are a draw-string waist, but they have nice big pockets. 
They were only $6.95! A good thing, too, as they are spill magnets - I seem to drip something on them every single time I wear them (today being no exception!). Fortunately, they are fully machine washable. 

I wore them not long after, in April 2019. 
"Are you still talking, Woman?"


I need to wear that cool blazer again soon. Shoes Flashbacked here

What to wear with a top that has a kajillion colours in it? 
Olive green pants, obviously. This was later in April 2019. I miss those shoes, but they felt too high last year. 

I liked the chartreuse bookends of this look from July 2019. 
Flashback on the sandals here

For Ross' birthday, I busted out this amazing vintage vest. 
I felt like a genie! 

Pandemic lockdown shenanigans for Star Wars Day in May 2020 - I wore them as part of my Princess Leia outfit. 
I'm sneaking past Vizzini the Hutt to rescue L/Han Solo. 

In August, we celebrated Nick's birthday in the park. 
I needed comfy pants to sit in...

...and play badminton in! 
Bonus action shot! 


Mathy stuff: With today's outfit, that makes 7 wearings: a whopping 99 cents per wear, which is excellent. 

Considering I'm not a "jogger" person, I think I've done pretty good with these! How would you wear them? 

38 comments:

  1. Good morning Sheila, wow no wonder you left the first outfit with the mermaid skirt on for L to see! The shape of the skirt shows off your figure! Not in a month of Sundays would I think to put that shirt with it but once all that fabulous jewellery is on wow what an outfit !! Fantastic. I know what you mean about zen time I used to love going to the "chazzas" and just block everything else out and have a rummage. I went mad on ebay for awhile but it is not the same. I must have some closet time to compensate! I love the pics of Vizzini getting in on the act. Also clever to pull out the pinks from your blazer. You are an artist I have said it before and I'll say it again. Stay safe and warm. Shazxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Shaz! L was very appreciative of my mermaid outfit - the man has taste, what can I say? The jewelry often helps bring two pieces together that might otherwise look odd - I'm glad this outfit worked out.

      Yes, that calm feeling as you rummage is so lovely and restorative. I can't do the same online - I really need to touch things. Closet time is a good trade-off for now.

      Vizzini often comes to visit when I'm on a call, but I have to hold him up to the screen (he is not a fan of it, ha ha).

      Aw, Shaz, you are too sweet, thank you, my dear.

      Delete
  2. I love that you got to catch up so much on zoom, and that you were so fabulously dressed up for it! :)

    The second outfit is my favourite though, I really like the pink and olive combo and that blazer is just the perfect topper! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you'd ever like to try a Zoom call with me, Mica, drop me an email (it's in my profile) and we'll coordinate. I've Zoomed with my uncle in Australia, so I know it'll work!

      Thank you! I love both of them.

      Delete
  3. I love my wardrobe playtime too, it's utterly relaxing and gets my creative juices flowing! And you're certainly upholding your reputation, not that I ever doubted that :-) I simply cannot take my eyes off your mermaid skirt, it's truly mesmerizing, and you're right, the shape more than suits you! Perfect pattern mixing with that plaid shirt too.
    Your new-to-you jungle print blazer looks absolutely fabulous combined with pink and olive green. And aren't pink and leopard made for each other?
    So sorry your hairdresser's appointment got cancelled. Tomorrow they're deciding here whether ours are allowed to re-open shortly. I am - as suggested by you, but I'd been thinking the same - considering growing my hair into a bob again. It's almost long enough at one side already.
    As usual, I loved trawling through your flashbacks. I absolutely adore that top you wore with the olive joggers in 2019! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does - I seem to not remember this when I start feeling stressed, though!

      I know, Ann, it's an amazing skirt. I love this profile. Thanks!

      Isn't it a fun outfit? I enjoyed the green/pink mix very much. Leopard too, yes!

      Eh, it's okay - my hair can go a bit extra between cuts due to length. I'd love to see you in a bob again1

      Thanks so much - I rescued that blouse from the giveaway last year, so I'll be wearing it again in the spring.

      Delete
  4. In reverse order...for a pair of joggers you thought would be challenging to style, I liked every single outfit you created with them! I especially like that the toppers (blazers, vests) can be of drastically varying lengths yet they all look fabulous with the joggers.
    As for you and that mermaid skirt...a match made in heaven, as the saying goes! It looks like there are other colors in the pattern that could be pulled out and highlighted by a similarly colored top. My inclination would be for a bright shade of whichever color you chose.
    I had an in-person double masked meeting this morning and you were my inspiration for dressing. Everyone else was in pants and I wore a jumper, pulling out the green (for leggings) and turquoise (for long sleeves underneath) and wine colored tall boots plus turquoise earrings. I felt fabulous! Thank you, as always, for your sartorial umph!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much, Laurie! They've been an eye-opener to me, and perfectly exemplify why we need to keep pushing ourselves and trying new things, sartorially speaking.

      It's a gorgeous skirt, and I'm so very pleased with how it looks. I think I might try mustard yellow or gold/bronze with it. Thanks!

      Oh, wow, I'm so proud of you! Your outfit sounds awesome! Earrings and real boots too! Your colour combo is awesome! Hey, you did it, not me - but I'm thrilled to have inspired you, my dear!

      Delete
  5. I love the mermaid skirt! It's such a flattering shape. I especially liked it with the L'Wren Scott blouse. The joggers are very cool but would be way out of my comfort zone. I like those best with the top with kajillion colours.

    Vizzini is such a handsome cat - but I think he knows it!!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vronni, it really is. I love that Scott blouse - must wear it again soon. Yeah, that's how I felt about the joggers too, and is why I was happy to only pay $6.95 for them - if they ended up awful, I wouldn't feel so bad! I like that top too.

      He really does - such a pretty boy.

      Delete
  6. Love love love the outfits you built with the jogging pants! My favorite is the one with the top with circles on it (April 2019). Stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Cynthia! I like that one too - that's a lovely top that I'll be wearing again in the spring/summer.

      Delete
  7. Very successful pattern mixing! I'd pair the skirt next with Gold or other warm toned metallic - surely you have a gold metallic leather jacket?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely I DO have a gold metallic leather jacket, Ismay, you clever woman! Thanks for the reminder. I am going to try mustard yellow with it next time. Thank you!

      Delete
  8. Such fantastic looks! Your Wednesday outfit is my favorite. The jungle print blazer is gorgeous!
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lovely! I like that one too - such a fun print!

      Delete
  9. The Mermaid Skirt is fabulous and even better with the red top, it really picks out the detail of the wonderful print. Loving those Babycakes boots, too - round toes and platforms make my heart sing!
    How fabulous to chat to Shelley - she's looking fabulous. We had a Skype talk a few years ago and she was just as warm, funny & genuine as I knew she would be. Look at Vizzini all adorable and wriggly.
    My mum had a near identical pair of olive satin combat pants - a change from her usual leather trousers - which she always wore the tonnes of leopard print and a shedload of brass tribal jewellery. She'd have loved how you wear yours.
    Have a fantastic weekend! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Vix! I do like accentuating the red in the pattern. The boots are amazing, as always.

      It was so much fun! If you'd ever like to do a Zoom call, drop me a line (my email is in my profile). Shelley is awesome - I'm so glad we connected. Vizzini was definitely wriggly!

      Oh, how cool is that? Your mum sounds like a very stylish woman! Aw, that's so sweet.

      Happy weekend!

      Delete
  10. I loooove those joggers! The hole look! Because there is something so fantastic about army green, or olive, and pink. The contrasts is what attract me I guess. The cool green and the sweet pink. I think that look is absolutely fantastic! And we are going to Zoom! Yeah! I shall try to show Castor and Teun too! Have a great start of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Nancy! I love green and pink together; it's been one of my favourite combos for many years.

      We are! I'm so excited! I'll have to bring Vizzini in to meet your kitties! :)

      Happy weekend, my dear!

      Delete
  11. So fabulous outfits!, I love particularly your mermaid skirt with red blouses, this plaid one looks stunning with it, and love your accessories! and boots!. No wonder you've worn this skirt with red frequently, red makes it rock!!
    And I admire the multiple ways you've styled your joggers, You Look Fab in every outfit!. And very inspiring!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monica! I really love this skirt - it's so beautiful, and bonus that it really suits me!

      Thanks again! I am rather surprised at how much wear I've gotten from them.

      Delete
  12. How would we possibly survive these pandemic lockdowns without technology? So wonderful that you had virtual visits with your friends.

    The mermaid skirt is so flattering and the colours are sumptious. I'm fairly certain that the makers of the jogging pants would never have dreamed they could be transformed into something so glamourous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Nana, I'm so thankful that we are living in a time that allows us to connect face to face remotely. Can you imagine how horrible it would be otherwise?

      Thank you! I love that skirt. I never thought I'd have a pair of "fancy" joggers in my closet! You never know until you try, right, Nana? :)

      Delete
  13. Ooh hello red gingham tie blouse and a lovely cosy maxi skirt with fish hem! OOOh, feathery necklace- NOOOOOO, I can imagine Vizzini would kill it! Look at your lovely smily mum! And nice to see Vizzini getting in on the action!
    I like that, in the red coat picture, L's trousers match your coat!
    Loving that jungle blazer and I really like the pinks even though I am emphatically not a pink person (I do own pink things and wear them but I'm a Not Pink person, if that makes any sense!) Ha, just read that you used to loathe pink! As you may realise, I am typing bits of comment as I go along as I often feel guilty that I get amnesia by the end of one of your posts and forget about things I really wanted to comment on so my new technique is to open the comments in a parallel window.
    I'm liking those pink tassel earrings! Does Vizzini covet those?
    I love the long vest and the yellowy badminton-playing shawlie thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying your running commentary on the post, Kezzie! Good idea to have separate windows!

      Vizzini does go after the necklace - he wants the feathers. L and I often end up matching - we don't plan it, though! Thanks - I came around on pink, never say never. Yes, Vizzini goes after the tassel earrings (he attacks anything that moves on me, basically) - he wants to chew them!

      Thanks so much!

      Delete
  14. Beautiful outfits, I like the one with the mermaid skirt the best. The mermaid skirt looks so fabulous on you and I like the colours you choose to go along with it. That red blouse is so beautiful. I like your pink styling as well. It's great you were able to do Zoom calls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that one too, thanks, Ivana! The Zoom calls are really fun - if you would like to do one with me, drop me a line (my email's in my profile) and I'll book it! :)

      Delete
  15. Immensely true regarding the soul soothing, mood elevating powers of time spent in the company of one's own wardrobe. I've always cherished the act of getting dressed and will approach it in a leisurely, peaceful manner whenever possible. It's a wee snippet of creative "me time" that can really help to set the tone for the rest of the day.

    Many hugs & warm wishes for a beautiful weekend,
    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't seem to get it in my head that I need to spend time in my wardrobe, that it's good for my mental health to do that. I miss getting dressed up daily - it's harder to motivate, but the Zoom calls have really helped me by giving me a purpose in dressing. Thanks, Autumn!

      Delete
  16. I love the olive satin trousers. So nice with that fab jacket and the pink pumps. A really good outfit. Love it.
    As for Zoom.... we could do that too. Only the time difference might be a difficult hurdle to take.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Greetje! I was really happy with it.

      I'd love to Zoom with you - I did it with Nancy in the Netherlands and it's only a 9-hour time difference. Drop me an email (it's in my profile) and I'll book us a time!

      Delete
  17. Yes, I enjoyed our ZOOM conversation, and you looked fab in your mermaid, curve-hugging skirt. One of my favourite colour combinations is pink and green, but I never wear it. You got the shades of the colours just right in your second outfit and it looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so fun! Glad we were able to coordinate it. :)

      I love pink and green - it's one of the best. If it works in nature, it'll work in an outfit!

      Delete
  18. Sheila, this mermaid skirt is amazing! And I really love it with the checkered top tied at the waist. So cute! Also, you are totally rocking the olive green joggers. They are wicked cool. And your yellow kimono, too! I wanna come play dress up with you!

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Shelbee! Ha, yes, bring your badminton racquet and we'll have a game!

      Delete

Comments are so incredibly special, and I love them and hug them and treasure them forever. Please feel free to tell me what you think!

I'm not currently able to respond to comments, but I will make every effort to answer questions. I do read every single one, and appreciate your comments.

Please note that comments containing affiliate links spam-y sites, spam comments and anything I deem inappropriate will be deleted.

Cheers,
Sheila