Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Leopard and the Green Tweed Suit Flashback

Inspired by the Thrifty Six's "Whatever 'Suits' Us" challenge (link here), my love of suiting was reignited - time to wear one of the oldest things in my wardrobe! This green tweed suit has been with me for a very long time, and yes, we are going to do a Major Flashback on it. 
Today felt like a leopard kind of day - it's my Monday after a long weekend, and I need to ensure I have "rar!" if I need it. 

  • Suit jacket - Precis Petite; last worn here in December 2019 with leather
  • Suit skirt - Precis Petite; last seen here in October 2019 with more tweed
  • Blouse - Karl Lagerfeld, thrifted; last worn here in September 2019 with gold leather pants
  • Boots - Vog Together, Fluevog, consignment; last seen here in March 2020, with my "pre-Disco" outfit
  • Coat (below) - Apparence, vintage 80s, thrifted; last worn here in January

View of the Castle this morning. Hooray for clear skies, although rain is forecast to start tomorrow. Back to the rainy season! 
It's still pretty cold - barely above freezing - but most of the snow is gone. Excellent, let's move onto spring, shall we? 

Wearing this suit is like connecting with an old friend. You don't have to explain anything. 
Everything is just as it always was, soft, cozy and comforting. 
I love the three kick-pleats in the back - this skirt has always been kind to my rear view! 

Done up for walking to and from work. 
Ready to kick butt and take names!  

It's a curvy suit, which I love.
Mostly, I looked like this all day. I think I spoke with 4 people, including my delivery guy. 
You can't go wrong with leopard. Double leopard is even better (I nearly wore leopard tights!). 

Outerwear - the Unsafe Polar Bear came out for a spin. 
She is so soft and plush. 

Outerwear stuff: 
I bought these leather/cashmere-lined gloves over 10 years ago at the Velvet Crease's old location. They are Club Monaco and were brand new, but marked at $35.00 because one of the fingers was closed/obstructed. After I turned them inside out, I saw that the lining in that finger was sewn oddly (it was caught on a seam). I gently teased it out without tearing anything, and they were perfect. Brand new, $200+ gloves for $35.00, and I've probably worn them a hundred times. They are perfect for short-ish sleeves. 


  • Fur scarf - thrifted
  • Mask - by Mom
  • Gloves - Club Monaco, consignment

The stuff: 
Yeah, I could have done a girly, pointy shoe with my suit, but I felt much more me in these funky, chunky booties. They are a very dark brown. 

Copper bling: 
I love the warmth of copper. 


  • Pin - thrifted
  • Top bracelet - Renoir, vintage 60s, thrifted
  • Bottom bracelet - Renoir, vintage 60s, vintage fair
  • Earrings - vintage fair
  • Spinner ring - Twang & Pearl



Flashback: Green Precis Petite Suit (Jacket + Skirt)

I've been looking forward to this Flashback for ages - this is one of the items in my closet that I've had the longest. I purchased these pieces/this suit in 2007 new after I lost 50 lbs and had to replace my entire wardrobe. I spent $1,000 and hit all the sale racks at the mall to quickly get some basic pieces into my closet. Over time, I've upgraded on nearly everything since then with second-hand clothes of better quality that I really love, but 14 years later, I have this suit. 
As you can see by the single bright middle button, I lost the middle matching one really early on, and replaced it with a lighter green one from my button box.

This suit was originally three pieces: the jacket, the skirt, and a pair of matching wide-legged pants. I paid $125.00 for the jacket (on deep discount from the original $400.00), and $80.00 for the skirt (original retail around $260.00). The Bay (aka the Hudson's Bay Company) has a small section in their downtown Victoria location that I referred to as the "Secret Area", as it's tucked away in a back corner. There you can find Jacques Vert, Windsmoor, Precis and Precis Petites and Planet - it's a lot of "ladies of a certain age who still wear suiting separates" and Mother of the Bride stuff. But it's gorgeous quality fabrics, and that day, I found this suit.
I took this above texture picture today. The quality of this suiting speaks for itself, as it is still in pristine condition after over a decade of continuous wear, including having fake crows wired to it for Hallowe'en! It is a herringbone tweed, primarily wool (64%) and silk (27%), with a touch of polyester. The faux fur collar is detachable, with little elastic loops and buttons under the notched collar. 

I have only worn the pieces together as a suit a few times, so I'm doing every wear of each piece, arranged by date.

This is REALLY early in my blogging - June 2008! I'm experimenting like crazy, getting used to being in a smaller body. My wardrobe then was really small compared to how big it is now! 
I still have that yellow flower, that yellow camisole and those earrings - I keep accessories! I thought these shoes were the craziest things ever - they were tiger striped pony-hair kitten heels with gems on the toes. 

This is the first time I ever wore the separates as a suit, for my 41st birthday in October 2008.
I love the jacket with the faux fur collar on - it's very soft and plush, and it's never gotten sticky like cheap faux furs can. 

Here I am in December 2008, around when I lost the middle button - I sneakily covered it up with belts for the next few outfits. 
As noted, the label is Precis PETITES, so both pieces are proportioned for someone short. The waist is high on the jacket, the sleeves are more bracelet-length than standard, and the skirt is shorter than the styles were at the time. I'm 5'4" (average), but I'll often do petites for the better proportions on me. The pants were also petite, but my legs aren't, so I only wore them a couple of times because I didn't like how short they were. I wish I'd gotten one picture with them, though! 

Oh, my gosh, these pictures feel so long ago! This is January 2009. 
I still have that mink brooch. 

Just trying this obi over this peplum jacket...
This was in October 2009. I still have the obi! 

I used to wear much higher heels, as you can see here in December 2009. 
That is not the tweed skirt, but a brown lace skirt I bought at the same time. 

A shot of me and Inigo kitty, in May 2010. 
I'm showing off my Manolo Blahniks that I bought in London, UK. As you can see, they were really freakin' high! I always felt like my bones in my feet were going to break from wearing them, so I sold them for the same price I paid (~$200). 

The skirt has always been a more versatile piece for me - seen here in June 2010. 
I loved that yellow cardigan and the purple sequined tank under it. 

This is the same vintage top as in the Manolo picture above - it was a lovely piece, but very snug and unforgiving. This is the first time I wore the jacket without the fur collar. 
I was big into "granny chic" for a couple of years - this is November 2010. I still have that rose brooch and those green knee-highs. 

Oh, my crane cardigan! I loved that so much - it was very much a favourite in the early blogging days. 
This was in January 2011 (10 years ago!). Shoe Flashback here.

I often wear the jacket as outerwear, as here in February 2011. 
I was early on the wide-legged trouser trend!

This is from November 2011 - I started doing the Stair Pose then. Well, I tried - it took me a few years to get it right. 
I love the patterned tights. I was really into this heeled loafer style of shoe. 

In October 2012, I included both pieces of the suit in my 30-piece capsule wardrobe for my 30 For 30 For 12 Challenge. 
One of my many mustard tops along the way! Boots Flashbacked here

October 2012 again, with a cashmere sweater. 
Green, mustard and brown were some of that month's colours. 

Here's the jacket, also in October 2012. 
Another mustard top (I thought that big floof was awesome). I was big on belting my jackets then, and it's been so long, I'm coming around to it again! 

A simple look, showing off my Grandmother's rhinestone jewelry, also in October 2012.
I still have that belt. 

Yet another October 2012 look. 
The jacket this time. My barnyard skirt! I'd forgotten all about it. I am looking askance at the red tights - I wouldn't wear red tights with this now. 

A classy red/green look, also October 2012. 
I loved that sweater - it's from one of my trips to Winners (I used to shop there a lot). 

And here's my Hallowe'en 2012 outfit - I'm Hitchcock's "The Birds"! 
Hallowe'en Flashback here. That was an awesome costume - the crows were feather/styrofoam, with wired feet, which I carefully poked through the tweed and wired inside the jacket - I removed them afterwards and you would never be able to tell now that I once accessorized my suit with fake birds! 

Back to normal after my year-long challenge, in March 2013. 
I still have that red cardigan! I gave up on heeled loafer shoe styles - I'm not a fan of them on me. 

I didn't keep this orange satin blouse for long. It was way too big, but I loved the colour. 
This was in October 2013 - I still have that belt and buckle!

Purple and green in January 2014. 
Only the skirt remains. Actually, I might still have those purple tights. 

A shopping outfit from November 2014. 
I still have those floral Doc Martens boots, and I just gave that purse away (I upgraded).

Caro is recognizing "her" leather shirt here, from November 2014. 
Vizzini ate the strap off one of those shoes. What a monster! 

Purple hair time! This was in October 2015, and I've mastered the Stair Pose. 
That's a classy outfit; I wish I'd kept that blouse. I still have the necklace (it's from 2010).

Ha, same necklace here in January 2016. 
More heeled loafers. Yuck. 

All green in November 2016. 
Another pair of wide-legged pants. I still have those earrings. Shoes Flashbacked here

This is a pretty outfit, from December 2016. 
I still have that top, but it has no stretch, so I didn't unpack it this year. Less chocolate + less pandemic = fitting into non-stretchy vintage clothes. Next year!

This is one of my favourite outfits, from March 2017. 
I still have this entire outfit aside from the shoes, which I gave to Cat about a year ago - they were too tight on me. That is a solid copper belt (vintage). Isn't it amazing? 

Sneaking in a wearing of one of my oldest pairs of shoes, bought in 2006 (I still have them). 
This was in November 2017. 

Jacket worn as outerwear, also in November 2017. 
I need to wear that leather skirt again soon! 

This is a birthday week outfit from October 2018. 
I wore the matchy jacket as my outerwear. Classy! I have only worn the jacket with the collar off a few times - I prefer the fur - but it's a nice way to change up the look. 

This is a great look, from March 2019. 
I've settled on that mustard blouse (for now). 

And this is the last time I wore the skirt, in October 2019. 
I need to wear that jacket still this season. 

This is the last time I wore the jacket, in December 2019. 
I didn't wear either piece in calendar 2020, but the fall/winter 2019 outfits count as my 2019/2020 season, so I'm good with that. I do tend to wear these less frequently, but now that suits are coming around again, I'll  have to make an effort to suit myself more! 


Mathy stuff: I've worn one, the other or both pieces now a total of 36 times: 
  • 4 times as a suit
  • 10 outfits with just the jacket
  • 22 looks with just the skirt
If we count the pieces separately, 26 wearings of the skirt (including being worn as a suit) is $3.08, and 14 outfits with the jacket is $8.92. But I'm going to count both pieces together and go with 36. My total investment was $205.00 and divided by 36 outfits is...$5.69 per wear. Awesome! If we want to get really silly, we can amortize the original price over the 14 years I've had it, to $14.64 per year. Fun with numbers! 

That's a lot of outfits, and I'm just shaking my head at some of the early pictures (so long ago, and yet, just yesterday!). Do you have a favourite? Any suggestions for what to wear with either/both pieces? I'd love to hear! 
"You do blather on, Woman."


I have a chilly kitty who's demanding some lap time - off we go. 

47 comments:

  1. Good morning Sheila, wow that suit deserves to be a favourite! It suits you and shows off your figure. Love the pleats too. I cannot pick a favourite from the flashback because you might shake your head but loved every single one!! What a gem to have. The castle looks lovely glad you have clear skys. That suit has glamour and comfort just lovely have a good day Shazxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Shaz! Aw, thank you so much! It's a lovely suit, and I have a lot of favourites there too. The weather here is very changeable, but I hope more sun is on the way! Hugs to you, my friend!

      Delete
  2. The cut of this suit is so good, so flattering on you. And Yes to the Chunky boots - love them! Lise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that must be the most versatile suit in the world and I am sure you can think of even more ways to style it.
    Here's to the next 10 years !!
    XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your comments on some of those very old posts, Jane! Here's to another 10!

      Delete
  4. What a gorgeous suit! I love the picture with the jacket with the pants-so unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sam! I like the jacket with wide-legged pants too - they balance out the monstrously furry lapels.

      Delete
  5. Awww. ..Inigo kitty! What a darling - and you, too, dear Vizzini!
    That suit is fabulous on you, I love it with the chunky boots and the copper jewellery. The Birds tribute outfit is utterly brilliant.
    Hooray for the snow going...Spring is a-comin'! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's why I love it when the cat(s) photo-bomb me, Vix. You never know.

      Thank you! I like it with copper too. That was the best Hallowe'en costume!

      I'm glad the damned white stuff is gone!

      Delete
  6. Confession time: I have quite a lot of suits, but hardly ever wear them as such. I just can never resist a good suit when I find one.
    Yours is such a gorgeous colour and it just exudes quality! I'm loving the fur trimmed colour on that jacket. It looks fabulous with your leopard blouse and copper bling, and your chunky boots were the perfect choice too, much better than a girly, pointy shoe, I think.
    The suit's flashback, all the way back to 2008, was such fun to scroll through, and does prove its incredible versatility. Your 2012 Halloween outfit made me giggle! Aww, and lovely to see Inigo too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have loved suits since high school, when I got my first one. I can't resist them either. I had 15 when I was working in clothing retail in the 90s!

      Thank you, Ann! I love the fur too - so lush! Aw, I appreciate that - it's good to shake up our own expectations.

      It is fun to look back - I look so different!

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful suit. Classy and stylish. I like it paired with mustard/yellow the best and I would have loved to have seen the matching pants, too!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vronni! I like it with yellow too. I know, but I was already feeling "meh" on the pants. Blogging just caused me to get rid of them quicker.

      Delete
  8. Amazing! That you own that suit for so long. It's fabulous, I'm such a fan of tweed and in a skirt suit it is a dream. So elegant! Thanks for mentioning The Thrifty Six! It was a lovely theme to play with. Almost all us wore skirt suits! But yours is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a long time! Thank you so much, Nancy! Yes, the Thrifty Six really inspired me to dig it out. Aw, that's very kind of you (I like Lucy's).

      Delete
  9. I remember and love the bird outfit for Halloween! this is a great suit on you and you really get your money's worth from it - it looks fab worn together and as separates, definitely a good investment! :)

    Hope that you are having a good week :)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was one of my best Hallowe'en costumes ever, Mica! Thank you so much - I have gotten excellent wear from it.

      I'm glad it's over. Stressful.

      Delete
  10. Your suit is divine.

    Rena
    www.finewhateverblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That suit is, without a doubt, a true classic. I have pictures of my mother in the mid 1950's wearing a very similarly styled suit - her's was black with a white fur collar. Elegant then, elegant now and I'm sure in another 20 years - still elegant. I like all the iterations, but my favourite is the classy red/green ensemble. And of course The Birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Nana - I can't see it ever going out of style. Oh my gosh, your mom's suit sounds amazing! Thank you so much - the Birds was hilarious!

      Delete
  12. You would look nice in a black blouse and caramel leather pants. Keep up the good work.😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be good. If I ever find caramel leather pants, that is.

      Delete
  13. Clothes, fashion, yeah yeah... let's talk about hockey! The Devils are playing the Bruins in Boston -- and winning! 2-0 in the second period. NJ is a scrappy team of young players matching Boston's talent with high energy and enthusiasm. Sorry to go off-topic but I'm imagining your hubby's discomfort with the way this game is going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ally, you are so funny. I don't watch hockey, and L doesn't watch until playoffs. He's been working 11 hour days, so no time for hockey. I'm glad you're enjoying the rivalry!

      Delete
    2. Oh, okay. As Emily Litella used to say, "Never mind." :-)

      Delete
  14. Gorgeous suit! The Jan 2016 with the deep pink blouse is my favorite, so I'd suggest either piece with another sumptuously patterned blouse, dress or skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ismay! I agree, I need to do more colour with it.

      Delete
  15. wow, love this suit, love its texture and great quality and love the way you've styled it through the years in different styles as your style evolves. I love a quality piece which keeps being fresh and interesting and versatile!.
    And you rock it in your leopard top, bronze jewellery and fab boots. Lovely ensemble, and so cool!.
    Lots of lovely outfits, and I admire that you wore your skirt more frequently than the jacket, a lot of times!. Usually I neglect the skirts of my suits, have to chage this!.
    My favourite outfit is your Halloween costume, dear Sheila, it's so brilliant!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a gorgeous suit, I agree, Monica, thank you! It's been well worth the investment, and the classic style hasn't dated.

      I do wear a lot of skirts, but I love both pieces. Ha, the Hallowe'en costume was awesome, wasn't it? :)

      Delete
  16. brilliant styling with the black chunky boots Sheila! Very classy. In this case, cost per wear could be shortened to 'priceless'!

    Judith in Ottawa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judith! They are dark brown, actually, so go with the fur and the tights. Priceless is a good way to put it, ha ha!

      Delete
  17. I don't wear suits anymore. And still I bought a horrendously expensive trouser suit two years ago. Such a waist of money. You make really good use of the items in your wardrobe. Like you, I love the styling of March 2017 with the copper belt and pumps. A shame the pumps didn't fit you anymore. They made a nice set.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think about retirement and what will happen to all my work clothes, Greetje. I do wear most of them as my regular wardrobe, but I imagine I won't need anywhere near as much.

      Those pumps were tight when I bought them (last pair), and were fine until I developed a bunion on my left foot. Boo.

      Delete
    2. Ah... one day you might get the bunion removed by operation???

      Delete
    3. No, not likely. It's gotten better in the last year, as I'm not working as many days per week, am not on my feet as frequently, and am not being as active in my good shoes. We'll see what happens when we eventually go back to a full office, but I'm definitely not going to bother with any kind of surgery.

      Delete
  18. You've got more than your money's worth from that suit, and it still fits you beautifully! When you can wear an outfit as a Halloween Costume, to work, and for everyday, it's obviously a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely - and I'm so happy it still fits! Agreed, it's been a great investment. Thanks so much.

      Delete
  19. What a beautiful suit. I love how you described it as connecting to an old friend. Your fashion flack back with this piece is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was like that, Ivana - I haven't worn it in a while, and it instantly felt comfortable and familiar. Thank you!

      Delete
  20. Awesomely chic, elegant, beautiful suit. Nothing quite like the sophistication of a great tweed.

    I adore your analogy pertaining to how certain items in our closets being like old, dear friends who just get us and never judge. So true and sooo comforting! 😄

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Autumn - there is something about a rich tweed that exudes chicness.

      Aw, thanks!

      Delete
  21. That is a fab suit - the quality is clear.

    It looks really good with the mustard pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love seeing those early pictures! Thanks for sharing them again.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so incredibly special, and I love them and hug them and treasure them forever. Please feel free to tell me what you think!

I'm not currently able to respond to comments, but I will make every effort to answer questions. I do read every single one, and appreciate your comments.

Please note that comments containing affiliate links spam-y sites, spam comments and anything I deem inappropriate will be deleted.

Cheers,
Sheila