Thursday, August 27, 2026

Mom-Day in Grey Cotton and Boots

Welcome back to Mom-Day! I missed you last week, Mom! 
Looking classy as always! Thanks so much for having me over - I love you! 

I have some pictures of the day, but first, the outfit. 
Longtime readers will know this one - it's my "Cinderella's Ashes" dress. 

  • Ruched mesh top - thrifted; last seen here under a patchwork vest in July
  • Cotton dress - Kenzo, consignment; last worn here in September 2025 
  • Boots - Jose Saenz, consignment; last seen here in March with yellow velvet

I layered a mesh top under it - it was easy to shove the sleeves way up if I got too warm, but it covered my sleeves when it was sunny. 
I wore nylons for the boots (and thin socks) and a slip to keep the Cotton Rage at bay. 

The rain didn't appear, but the sun and wind did. No thundershowers, hooray.
This outfit is comfort for me - it's familiar and carries many good memories. 

Incognito.
A bucket hat for rain...or sun! 

The stuff: 
Oops, forgot the hat.

  • PVC hat (not pictured) - Babaton, consignment
  • Leather/vinyl purse - Ted Lapidus, vintage 90s, vintage fair
  • Leather "guitar buckle" belt - Fendi, thrifted

The boots were comfy for my walk to town in the morning. 

Amber bling: 
The usual stuff! 

  • Large amber/silver bracelet - consignment
  • Silver/amber drops bracelet - consignment, gift from L
  • Small silver/amber bracelet - consignment, Powell River
  • Silver/amber necklace - consignment
  • Silver/amber rings - all consignment
  • Silver/amber earrings - vintage mall, gift from L 

Whateley hopped into the tub as soon as I was out of the shower.
Chief Tub Inspector reporting for duty! 

Before I left, I went looking for the boys. 
Fall is coming, they're starting to sleep together again. 

Whateley, you be a good boy while I'm gone. 
"Maybe."

Aw, Barnabas is giving me full lovey eyes. 
He's been very cuddly with me lately. 

I headed out to Mom's and caught the bus out to Camosun College. 
Very dramatic skies! 

There were so many fat ripe blackberries! I wish I'd had a container. 
I ate about eight handfuls. 

Lizard! 
Very tiny, only about 3 inches.

Up the hill to the owl forest. 
No owls today, boo. 

The stick tree. 
I take the right path. 

A long and winding one. 
The clouds scudded by quickly. 

Mom's hydrangea are lovely shades of purple. 
So pretty. 

This rose is still blooming! 
I also see my hand in the reflection, and Mom through the window. 

She had a surprise for me! Two vests! 
This is woven in shades of red, orange and green, with mother-of-pearl buttons. 

It's by Coupe Classique, and weirdly, I found nothing about that company online. 
The CA number belongs to Triple 5 Inc. an importing company in Montreal that still exists. I will style this up and see what I think. Right now, it's feeling a little too Christmassy. 

I LOVE the front embroidery on velvet of this vest. 
But I HATE the clashing back fabric. Ya couldn't've made it black?? I will try this out, for sure...and I'll be hiding the back of it. 

I do like the massive pocket it has inside! 
Mom got this in Mexico, probably in the mid-90s, same era as the other vest. Fun! Thanks, Mom! 

After doing some chore-y things, we settled down and finished Mom's latest puzzle. 
I haven't even seen this one, and it's nearly done!

Mom saved the last bit for us to do together. 
Two thumbs up! That was fun! We had lunch after that - tuna melts and veggies/dip. 

And then we looked at her second painting, which is progressing well.
Only one more to go! Your neighbours are going to be thrilled, Mom. 

We sat out on the back deck in the shade, listening to the birds and watching the clouds blow by. 
What a lovely afternoon. Ah, I needed that. 

Time to head home. 
Got to give my kitties some attention. 

I found some extra pictures on the camera from this morning while I was sleeping.
L tidied up before our cleaning crew came, moving the cats' box into the den. 

Whateley jumped right in! 
"My box."


And with that, my friends, I am now off for the weekend! We have some fun times planned so do drop in on Sunday for tales of adventure! Thank you so much for being here! 

14 comments:

  1. I have always loved this dress, and those boots are totally awesome. Have a fab weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom looks so happy! Yay! Her renditions of her neighbor’s houses are sooooo cool.
    I too have always loved this dress, and you styled it to perfection; predictive of fall!
    Love the scenery, both flora and your adorable fuzzy fauna!
    ReaderRita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing her happy! Yes, they're lovely pictures - I know her neighbours will love them.
      Nothing like an old favourite! Thank you, Rita!

      Delete
  3. I do love your Cinderella dress!!
    I'm glad you got to spend time with your mum. The waistcoats are lovely, esp the second one.
    That jigsaw is marvellous! Very happy to see that pair of marvellous boys!! In box or out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very cool dress, I agree, Kezzie! Yes, so nice to have the time with Mom, and even better when she gives me gifts, ha ha! Thanks so much!

      Delete
  4. Interesting dress, great boots, dramatic belt, what's not to love? I can see that the two vests will be useful. Your Mom looks well, and obviously keeps busy. I do love the photo of Whateley beside the shower curtain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Isn't Whateley funny? He's always straight into the tub.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful day with your mum. I love her hydrangeas and am in awe of your amber jewellery collection!!! X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whatever you get cats, they will prefer the cardboard boxes, right? It's their favourite thing. I even saw a video of a tiger chilling in a cardboard box in some zoo.
    Anyhow, so great you've had a lovely day with your mom. Her puzzle game is on.
    I really like your dress....you description of it as... Cinderella Ashes is very clever. I like the brown belt as well, it matches with amber accessories really well. Your amber jewellery is so beautiful...and quite a collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely - no point in buying fancy toys, a box will do.
      Thanks so much - this is one of my favourite dresses. I love my amber collection - it's been collected over 10+ years.

      Delete
  7. Hi Helen! I'm a fan of your necklace. :-) What do you do with your puzzles after they have been put together? Our library has a puzzle swap but I've yet to use it as I've been swapping with two puzzlers in my neighborhood.
    Sheila you are wearing one of my favorite dresses. :-) I have a number of favorites (don't ask me to name them!) and this is one because of the soothing color combo and the comfortable looking flowing drape.
    For my money it's Whateley for the cuteness factor in today's pictures. That innocent looking face of his is lovable!
    The vests are going to be fun to see styled, especially the second one. I'm in complete agreement with you as to the back of the second vest not seeming to go at all with the front. However, once you noted that it came from Mexico then the color combos made perfect sense. Cheers, Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom trades them around her street, with her neighbours. I think the last one was from one of them. She picks up more at a local bookstore, I think.
      I know, there are a lot of favourites out there, Laurie! This is one of mine, too.
      Whateley has a great face, and he is a very handsome boy.
      Yup, makes total sense - Mexico!

      Delete

Comments are so incredibly special, and I love them and hug them and treasure them forever. Please feel free to tell me what you think!

I'm not currently able to respond to comments, but I will make every effort to answer questions. I do read every single one, and appreciate your comments.

Please note that comments containing affiliate links spam-y sites, spam comments and anything I deem inappropriate will be deleted.

Cheers,
Sheila