I have lots to share - what I packed/wore, oodles of west coast scenery and Weird Things I Saw, plus what I bought when I went shopping, AND all the family we saw.
Buckle up! Here we go!
As always, I basically wear the same thing for the entirety of the 3-day trip, including travel both ways.
As always, I basically wear the same thing for the entirety of the 3-day trip, including travel both ways.
- Acid-wash vest - Chicle, thrifted; last worn here (2nd outfit) to hang in the park a couple of weeks ago
- Beached tee - 2020 concert merch, not tracked
- Elton John tee (below) - thrifted
- Soup can tee (below) - SPRZNY X Andy Warhol, thrifted; last seen here with a pink blazer in July
- Skirt - Acqua & Limone, consignment; last worn here in July when I met up with Maria
- Sneakers - Converse, consignment; last seen here in July with my teal suit
- Track jacket (below) - Fred's Adidas, consignment; purchased here for $39.60
I only varied my t-shirts and socks, but wore the skirt, vest and sneakers every single day.
At the last minute I added the Adidas jacket that I just purchased, but only wore it as a jacket briefly on one day. Most of the time, it was around my waist like this. Handy for carrying my phone in one of the zip pockets, as the skirt's pockets are small.
Whenever I was indoors, eating or not walking around, I looked like this.
Minus the blurry Whateley, who did his usual photo-bombing on Friday morning. when I took these pictures. This is how most people saw me.
Here's everything I packed.
We had sun, a bit of rain, some wind, and temps ranged from a little chilly to rather warm.
Jacket on...
But as I said, barely worn like this.
Here's everything I packed.
I forgot to remove my pins.
- Colquitz Blue Devils pin - thrifted
- Star pin - consignment
My brother Dave, partner Shelley and my Aunt Lois all loved that I had a team button from my junior high school.
These are the tees I took.
I started with the pink sequined sneakers and then matched the tees to them.
I debated over the hat, but was glad I took it - the sun beat down hard on Saturday while I was walking around shopping all day.
A handy purse - it holds a lot!
- Leather purse - Michael Kors, consignment
- Paper hat - thrifted
At the last second, I picked out a scarf.
But again, it ended up on my purse, except for a short Movie Star Wrap right at the end of the voyage.
- Silk scarf - Ed Hardy by Christian Audigier, vintage 00s, consignment
I usually vary up my bling, but this time I decided to just wear the same things for all three days.
Felt comfortable.
- Filigree cuff - St. Paul's Cathedral gift shop, London, 2010
- Crystal heart cuff - Juicy Couture, consignment
- Silver/crystal ring - Soul Flower
- Silver/amethyst ring - vintage mall
- Silver/kyanite ring - consignment
- Earrings - vintage, c. 1995
- Silver Celtic S pendant - UK, gift from Mom & Dad, c. 1995?
- Amethyst pendant - gift from Mom & Dad, c. 1992?
One last round of kitty pictures, and off we go!
Barnabas was in his usual spot, enjoying the morning sun. Okay, here we go! If you've been here for a while, this is a regular bi-annual jaunt for us to Powell River (aka PR). We last went up here in January, and last summer in August 2025 here.
Here's the start of the Malahat Drive, near Goldstream Park.
Here's the start of the Malahat Drive, near Goldstream Park.
We had a warm sunny day, with only a few clouds.
We're zooming along here, with cliffs on the left, and a drop down 1000+ feet to the right as we go higher.
We're zooming along here, with cliffs on the left, and a drop down 1000+ feet to the right as we go higher.
Oh, wait, who's that doing all the driving?
My lovely husband L! Thank you, love! You are the best.
I didn't take as many scenery pictures, because I've driven this route a hundred times in the past 30 years.
But I do like taking pictures of Weird Things On the Road. Like a wizard! And this giant plant for making/storing...something?
I noted it had a gift shop! Maybe one day we'll stop here and check it out.
I noted it had a gift shop! Maybe one day we'll stop here and check it out.
Famous last words!
Another truck full of four by sixes.
A glimpse of the water on our right and some crows following the highway.
Denman Island? I don't know. The four Cs - we're close to the ferry to Powell River now!
It leaves from Comox. It took nearly 3 hours of driving to get this far.
It leaves from Comox. It took nearly 3 hours of driving to get this far.
We loaded onto the top deck, due to Vlad the Jaguar's low belly clearance.
There is a deck below this for regular cars. They ride in the belly of the beast!
There is a deck below this for regular cars. They ride in the belly of the beast!
We arrived, checked into our hotel, and then walked over to visit briefly with Louise.
She had a great pair of earrings on. So good to see her!
She had a great pair of earrings on. So good to see her!
We had dinner plans with a friend that fell through, so drove south to the Beach Gardens Resort & Marina.
Blackberry Festival was on, so all the restaurants in town were packed.
We arrived and wandered around, looking for the Seasider Bistro.
Blackberry Festival was on, so all the restaurants in town were packed.
We arrived and wandered around, looking for the Seasider Bistro.
Despite waving its claws around, this lobster was terrible at directions.
Isn't it cool?
It's a chainsaw carving! We finally found the bistro - shockingly, it was at the SEA SIDE.
L charmed them into getting us a literal seaside table. What a hideous view!
We watched the mass-murder of crows on the beach.
They were very territorial with the other sea-birds. We also watched otters clamber out of the rocks on the breakwater and frolic in the water.
This deck just below our table was swarming with people taking pictures of them.
This deck just below our table was swarming with people taking pictures of them.
We had a lot of Sunset Drama.
Gawd-light!
The mountains in the background are Vancouver Island.
Isn't that spectacular?
Gawd-light!
The mountains in the background are Vancouver Island.
Isn't that spectacular?
Wait, did I say orange?
We played boardgames and watched "hotel TV" for a while back in our room, then were up early for breakfast at the hotel restaurant before getting together with Louise and her boyfriend Dave.
I meant ORANGE.
Here's to my goofy partner!
We had an awesome meal and enjoyed watching the sunset. So romantic.We played boardgames and watched "hotel TV" for a while back in our room, then were up early for breakfast at the hotel restaurant before getting together with Louise and her boyfriend Dave.
Saturday's outfit - Elton John tee!
We picked up Louise from her apartment.
She had to pose in my hat! So chic! Due to Vlad only having two seats, I walked down to Willington Beach, and L drove his mom.
I spotted L and Louise walking towards me.
At this point, I left everyone to go shopping on Marine Avenue.
Looking back. This was packed with people an hour later.
Looking back. This was packed with people an hour later.
I only had luck in my favourite store - the Economy Shop wasn't open on weekends (boo!) and Madrona Thrift has closed - but spent a couple of hours browsing in the Willow Rose Boutique.
They had 20% off on everything for the Blackberry Festival, so these brand new Converse sneakers - with heels! were only $79.00.
They had 20% off on everything for the Blackberry Festival, so these brand new Converse sneakers - with heels! were only $79.00.
I think I have to put my name in them, right?
So fun! These will be fun to play around with.
I've been on the lookout for a turquoise purse for years.
This one is perfect. The perfect colour, just the right amount of pocketry and the price was right at $47.00 after the discount. A metal label - made in Canada!
I couldn't find another one in this same design, but based on the tiny "cell phone" pocket inside, it's probably from the early 00s.
I couldn't find another one in this same design, but based on the tiny "cell phone" pocket inside, it's probably from the early 00s.
In addition to the big front pocket, there is a wallet pocket inside and two smaller pockets (the aforementioned cell pocket is one).
It's beautifully soft and is going to be used plenty!
It's beautifully soft and is going to be used plenty!
It's by Luna Moon, but I couldn't find anything like it online.
My last find was this rather dull vest.
It has no label, but those are real pockets and it fits well.
It has no label, but those are real pockets and it fits well.
While I was out shopping all day, L drove Louise around to all her favourite places.
They were momentarily trapped by a black bear! See it on the right side of the truck? Yikes! Get out of there!
They were momentarily trapped by a black bear! See it on the right side of the truck? Yikes! Get out of there!
We had pizza for dinner with Louise, then were back in the hotel room for an early wake-up to catch the first ferry back to the island.
I didn't take any full-length pics of me in my "soup can" tee but this is the only time I had the Adidas jacket actually ON.
I didn't take any full-length pics of me in my "soup can" tee but this is the only time I had the Adidas jacket actually ON.
Of course, we stopped in to visit with Dave and Shelley.
Aw, my little brother!
He made us all a nice strong coffee, and we hung out chatting for over an hour.
Me and Shelley. We met up with my aunt Lois and uncle Brent at The Shack Taphouse on the golf course near Parksville.
A great view!
We had a yummy lunch, laughing and catching up with Brent and Lois (she is my dad's younger sister).
A great view!
We had a yummy lunch, laughing and catching up with Brent and Lois (she is my dad's younger sister).
And back on the road we go!
I was disappointed that the Trading Post's horse wasn't out on our way up-Island, but she was out for the down-Island trip.
I was disappointed that the Trading Post's horse wasn't out on our way up-Island, but she was out for the down-Island trip.
More steep cliffs, and we're on the Malahat again.
It was JAMMED with traffic (much of it is single lane, carved out of rock).
It was JAMMED with traffic (much of it is single lane, carved out of rock).
And finally we were nearly home.
And when L put the top down on Vlad, I wrapped my scarf around my head in the Movie Star Wrap. Home!
And when L put the top down on Vlad, I wrapped my scarf around my head in the Movie Star Wrap. Home!
We both chilled when we got home (me uploading photos, L napping) and then played board games on Sunday.
"I'm playing too!"
Me too, Whateley!















































































No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are so incredibly special, and I love them and hug them and treasure them forever. Please feel free to tell me what you think!
I'm not currently able to respond to comments, but I will make every effort to answer questions. I do read every single one, and appreciate your comments.
Please note that comments containing affiliate links spam-y sites, spam comments and anything I deem inappropriate will be deleted.
Cheers,
Sheila