Monday, October 5, 2026

Birthday Week! Vest, Stained Glass and Brutalist

In case you missed it, it's my birthday this week, so I'm celebrating by wearing a bunch of my favourite things in my closet. 
Today, it's my embellished/distressed vest and my "stained glass" silk skirt. 

  • Vest - Religion, consignment; last worn here (2nd outfit) in July for brunch
  • Cotton sweater - Betty Barclay, thrifted; last seen here in October 2025 with plaid and bark
  • Silk skirt - Tangerine Jill, thrifted; last worn here in February for Sweetheart Week
  • Velvet/leather boots - Austen Biblio, Fluevog; last seen here in September with Paris and plaid
  • Jacko (jacket + poncho) - Levi's X Junya Watanabe, consignment; last worn here in May for a birthday  Mom-Day at the HCP gardens

Castle view! 
We had a lovely day (and it was a gorgeous weekend), but it's still chilly in the morning. 

I layered a red cotton thin sweater under the vest, which I've had for about 5 years. I like the metal tubes that line the lapels and pockets and that it has 5 pockets. 
It's a recut from a men's jacket (of course) with extra fabric on the sides, and frayed edges. It's very rock & roll. 

The skirt is by former local company Tangerine Jill, which sold in downtown local boutiques back in the 90s-00s. I've had several pieces of it over the years including a multi-coloured sheath dress version of this.
It literally wore out - the outer layer is black silk organza, very gauzy, and those are silk squares and rectangles sewn on in a mix of silks. So much work! 

Incognito. 
I like the look of my denim/suit-wool cape undone like this, but it tends to slide around when I'm walking vigourously (as I do). 

It's a chi-chi designer collaboration with Levi's so it's a weird recut of a jean jacket. 
I like the weird. 

The stuff: 
These long skinny "opera" scarves are perfect this time of year. 

  • Leather purse - Rebecca Minkoff, consignment
  • Silk fringed scarf - vintage, thrifted
  • Leather gloves - Coach, consignment
  • Snake brooch - c.1986, gift from Mom & Dad

Brutalist bling: 
And of course, my Brutalist pewter collection has returned! I'm so happy to have it back, and showed it off to my coworker. 

  • Brutalist pewter cuff bracelet and link bracelet - both Robert Larin, vintage 70s, vintage mall, gifts from L
  • Square ring - thrifted
  • "Volcano" ring - vintage 70s, Mom's
  • Brutalist pewter necklace - Robert Larin, vintage 70s, thrifted, Sidney
  • Earrings - vintage mall

Barnabas was ensconced in his favourite snoozing spot. 
An extra cozy blanket as the deck gets cold after the sun goes down. 

Whateley still hangs out on his bench. 
He was being very cuddly, not happy to see me leave in the morning. Sorry, little bud. 

3 comments:

  1. Your Brutalist pewter is sooooooo cool.
    ReaderRita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic outfit, Sheila. The skirt is gorgeous and how fabulous is that jacket/poncho thingy.
    Swooning over Brutalist pewter bling! Oh, and have a wonderful birthday week, my friend. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so incredibly special, and I love them and hug them and treasure them forever. Please feel free to tell me what you think!

I'm not currently able to respond to comments, but I will make every effort to answer questions. I do read every single one, and appreciate your comments.

Please note that comments containing affiliate links spam-y sites, spam comments and anything I deem inappropriate will be deleted.

Cheers,
Sheila