▼

Thursday, September 24, 2026

Mom-Day in Red and Blue

Welcome back to Mom-Day! Fall has...fallen!...bringing chillier days and rain. Yes, it's rainy season, how exciting. 

Mom and I started a new puzzle, had a yummy lunch, then worked on the puzzle some more. The hours flew by! 

I planned my outfit for the weather - the rain started in the mid-afternoon, and was solidly coming down by the time I got home in the early evening. 
This bold red jacket is a great rain repeller - and it has four pockets, hooray! 

  • Thermoplastic jacket - Adidas X Fiorucci, consignment; last seen here in July over a silk pajama top
  • Lace top - Lalabobo, consignment; first worn here in August with pink, blue and red
  • Mesh leopard top - Dolce & Gabbana, vintage 90s, consignment, Powell River; last seen here (3rd outfit) in May for the Burrito Birthday Bash
  • Satin trousers - Calvin Klein 205W39NYC by Raf Simmons, c. 2019, consignment; last worn here in June with ruffles and lavender
  • Sneakers - Soul Speed Duesy, Fluevog; last seen here (2nd outfit) in March in a casual Friday vibe (same trousers and belt!)

I took my shoes off at Mom's, as well as the jacket. 
I really liked the leopard print mesh with this pineapple lace top. 

Incognito. 
I was buttoned up while outside/on the bus. I was glad of the gloves - it was chilly! 

The shoes.
You love them or you hate them. It's okay, I understand. 

The stuff: 
I took this in the morning, before I left. 

  • Suede purse - Soruka, thrifted, Powell River
  • Silk scarf - Halston, vintage 70s, thrifted
  • Leather gloves - Ralph Lauren, thrifed

Mixed bling: 
I wore the droopy leopard on my lace top - did you spot it? 

  • Plastic grommet belt - vintage 90s, consignment
  • Lace cuff - Nashville, locally made
  • Spiky cuff - Jenny Bird, consignment
  • Droopy leopard brooch - Parklane, vintage 80s, vintage fair
  • Silver/crystal ring - Uffizi Gallery gift shop, Florence
  • Silver/carnelian ring - thrifted
  • Silver/lapis lazuli ring - Wendy Brandes
  • Gold hoop earrings - 5th anniversary gift from L

Squirrels are in the trees, knocking down acorns. 
Whateley and Barnabas are ever-alert. 

I can still get them to look at me - L and I make a variety of noises to get their attention. 
They're adult when they stop paying attention entirely, ha ha! 

Gloomy skies as I made my way to Mom's. 
I like seeing this little maple's leaves change colour. 

I realized that you can see through that dead tree in the middle. 
The blackberry vines are also getting rusty. 

The stick tree. 
Bits of yellow appearing in the foliage. 

I like those misty orange and yellows. 
I see so many colours! 

As does Mom, who showed off her ongoing picture for her neighbours. 
She goes through several "practice" versions, experimenting with shading, lines and colour. Still a ways to go, but it's looking great. 

"Oh no," I said when I saw our new puzzle.
All that purple and white! 

We got most of the border done before lunch. 
I was doing it upside down! 

After our egg sandwiches and veggies, we went back to our tea and worked on it for another hour-plus! I tried to take this selfie with the puzzle, but missed it - we finished much more! 

A good shot of Mom's Maori pendant from New Zealand. Love that teal leopard too! 
So good to see you, Mom, thanks for having me over! I love you! 

I headed out in light rain and made it home before it started really coming down. 
I spotted a squirrel in the Garry Oak. 

Barnabas, do you see it too? 
Nope, just leaves. 

They're in full hunting mode, quite funny to watch. 
Signing off now for the weekend! Wishing you all peace and good times - please do pop back on Sunday for tales of adventure! Thanks for being here. 

8 comments:

  1. The boys are getting so grown up! They are definitely protecting you and L from any suddenly aggressive squirrels.

    Always delightful to see your mom's art in progress. I'm sure her neighbors will treasure her gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at the boys!! They really are gorgeous!
    Talking of gorgeous, its lovely to see you and your mum enjoying a Mum's Day. It looks so Autumnal in your part of the world. It's been 24°C today so it's very much still bare arms here, long may it last. I can't wear anything but trainers on my feet at the moment, I'm sure some people look at me askance! Have a fabulous weekend! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Favorite photos - the two selfies of you and your Mom, and the photo of Barnabas and Whateley turning to acknowledge the sounds made by you and L. Did they move their heads in synch?

    Once you put the scarf on your head it changed my thought pattern from 'cool colorful outfit for a rainy day' to thinking of The Adventures of Amina Al-Sirafi, a frolicking fantasy about a female pirate of the title name. And thinking of a female pirate absolutely works for my interpretation of you in this outfit given your delight in dressing pirate-like. :-)

    Hi Helen, it's always enjoyable to see you and be able to appreciate your art. I agree with the comment by Julia S about your neighbors treasuring their individual house paintings that you are gifting them.

    Here's to a wonderful weekend for all!
    Cheers, Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely to join you and your Mom on another Mom-Day. Working on a puzzle and having lunch together sounds just perfect for a rainy Autumn day. Please send some rain our way, will you, we're having a shortage!
    And what a cool outfit you're wearing! That lace top is gorgeous and I'm loving the peak of leopard.
    Always lovely to see your boys' shenanigans too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that leopard top and I love that your Mom was wearing leopard too! Her dedication to creating the best possible painting of each house is admirable. The neighbours will be well pleased with the end result. We had squirrel entertainment yesterday. Four young ones decided to decimate the seeds on the cedar tree by the porch and they left a mess of them on the path.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely outfit, that top is so Cool and I'm a huge fan of those red shoes (I'm totally in the Chunky Shoes Team) and red jacket!
    Always great to see your Mom and you having a good time!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  7. This, to me, is the ideal “sporty” outfit. Why don’t the sports apparel companies do jerseys like this? They need to up their game! (Pun intended)
    -ReaderRita

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so incredibly special, and I love them and hug them and treasure them forever. Please feel free to tell me what you think!

I'm not currently able to respond to comments, but I will make every effort to answer questions. I do read every single one, and appreciate your comments.

Please note that comments containing affiliate links spam-y sites, spam comments and anything I deem inappropriate will be deleted.

Cheers,
Sheila